1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tonirone, Sep 23, 2007.

1. tonirone

tonirone LawnSite Member

Kawasaki, Generac, or Vanguard? Which one has the most torque to hp and will last the longest if serviced properly?
  2. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I guess you know what I'm going to say, but I don't actually know the specs on torque and HP; I've just been really impressed with the small Kawasaki engines; I have a John Deere 14ST that looks like crap and was old when I got it and the engine still runs good, have had almost no problems with it, maybe a couple of carb problems, probably due to leaving fuel it in too long without starting, in 2 seasons of mowing.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Be a little more specific on which engine (HP, model) you are looking at and I'm sure you'll get plenty of input. Briggs has some made by Daihatsu. Kawasaki is hard to beat on reliability. Give us a little more input.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

To me it's about money...

Really I've never heard of the generac, but the only engines I would consider so long I had the money are Kohler, Kawasaki, and Honda (not necessarily in that order), just because of what goes into them. I do have a preference for the Kohler but that's just me, these 3 are all engines made above and beyond standard specs, might be another maker out there like Suzuki but it's just not common.

The briggs is a strong engine but it just doesn't compare, side by side two 15hp's one a briggs, any of the above will pull out ahead, almost like they're not the same hp even if the label says they are... Weird, but a 15hp Kohler acts more like 16-17hp in comparison, just how it is.

The briggs is, to me, the economical engine of choice, if caught short on money they do last a long time, they're not bad engines for the price and I've used them before, have one now, and will likely use them again in the proper situation.