Which engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by karol, Jan 17, 2008.

1. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

I'm trying to decide the pro's and con's of the Kawasaki 29hp EFI or 25hp kubota diesel on my new Toro. Any of you guys or girls have had any experience with these engines?

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like the Kaw engines,,,,but that diesel is very tempting.,,,Demo both I guess.
    i guess

3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

What are their respective tag price?

4. fourbybud

fourbybud LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Can't go wrong with a Kubota diesel!!!!:dancing:

5. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I know how you feel I am in the same boat as you I was able to demo a toro with the 23 hp diesel which was smooth and farely powerful. However it wasent as much of a differnce as I thought it would have been originally to tell you the truth it was pretty even with the John deere 777 which has a 27 hp Kaw engine. However it was a demo unit with only about 20 hrs on it or so and I've heard it take diesel mowers 50 hrs or so to really break in a produce their full potential when it comes to power. I dunno what I'm going to do either. :confused:

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

For gas powered there is no doubt Kawasakis are great, and I can speak from experience on that. However Im like Buckeye...diesels are TEMPTING!! Diesels will last you a long time!

7. blind04

blind04 LawnSite Member

i dont really understand why anyone goes with deasels on a ztr. you are all right, you just cant beat a kubota deasel. but!!!!!!!! when that ztr is totally broken down and is way way way past trying to rebuild, like lets say 3000 to 4000 hours. that deasel motor wont even be half worn out. your paying extra for a motor that you wont even get the full use of. thats my oppinion anyway. i am sure there will be some people who disagree.

8. fourbybud

fourbybud LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Never seen a Kubota deasel. Is the better than a regular diesel?:hammerhead:

9. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

To me it's not a metter of long term life because I trade as soon as warentee is up, but the short term derability and extra torque/power is very important to me expecially when bagging and the powerflow sucks all that power on my 777 when I fire the blades up with the bagger I bet I loose 30%-35% power.

10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Blind04 makes a good point. I've noticed this on other mowers and small engine machines. It seems the engine far out lasts the machine. The machine's parts wear out, and before long you are replacing the entire unit piece by piece. Yes, I agree the diesels are tempting, but I think I would still stick with Kaw. They have a great reputation and plenty of torque.