which engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, May 12, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Since my mower only has a 14 hp kawasaki, i was thinking of purchasing a new 17 hp kawasaki pull start. My question is, I have an electric clutch on my mower and I was wondering if you could buy a regular twin cylinder and put it on. Because in the Landscaper Supply catalog, the engine without the electric clutch is like $100 cheaper. Is there anything I would have to do to make it work?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I am afraid that if you want the clutch to work you will need to buy the engine with the charging coil. It would be the easiest and cheapest option.

There are 2 options however if you are opposed to spending $100 more for the correct engine (you do make way more a year than $100 with this mower right?). You can remove all of the electric clutch components and install a manual clutch setup. This would probably cost you way more than $100 though. You could also rig up a battery and wire the clutch that way too. But you would have to bring the battery home every day and charge it with a charger and hope that the battery doesn't give out on you in the middle of the day because it either can't hold enough charge or you forgot to charge it the day before.

My advice to you is to spend an extra hunderd bucks on a machine that makes you way in excess of that much money.

3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Great answer Richard.

4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

100 dollars -dont be cheap and keep safe