Which engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'm just curious but which engine would you all rather have- A 23 hp Kawasaki or a 24 hp Honda for only $100 more than the Kawasaki? Thanks for your replies.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

24Hp Honda without a doubt
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

As much as I love kawi. For a $100 I would get the honda. The motor will out live the machine.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

honda all the way
  5. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Honda over any other's.
  6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

The heck with both of them. I would rather throw on a 27hp Kohler for around the same price. The Kohlers, IMO, are the most reliable gas motor on the market at the moment. I'm sure there will be plenty who disagree, and that's ok since it's always just a matter of opinion anyway.
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Work it, I have to agree with you. I too would take a Kohler over any other brand but there are a lot of mowers that doesn't even have a Kohler engine available on them so then that makes you choose- machine or engine?
  8. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

I chose the Honda 24. Excellent so far. There was a very informative thread here about a week ago discussing the Kawasaki.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I dunno, because I didn't hear good things about the Honda V-Twins when they first started surfacing on ZTRs. However, Honda has always made great small engines, and I have also heard their larger boat engines are superb as well.

So that leaves me hanging in the balance. I just haven't heard enough long term reports on the 24hp Honda.

Compared to the Honda, the 23hp Kawasaki is supposed to make more torque.
    But I have mixed feelings about the torque issue, which I'll say more about later.
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Go with the Kawasaki. Honda has had a lot of problems with engines over about 10hp. They are not all that reliable, hard to fix, plagued with electrical problems, parts are often hard to get, and filters and parts can easily cost twice what you would pay for a similar Kawasaki, or Kohler part. I think a search will turn up other info. that has been posted here in the past.
    As a dealer, I will not sell any machines with Honda engines on them.