which excavator is best?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by getthenet, Feb 5, 2008.

1. getthenet

getthenet LawnSite Member

bobcat, cat, volvo, takeuchi, kamatsu, case, new holland, kubota, or other. I have test drove bobcat 430. Also looked at cat 303.5. I want zero house swing and under 10000 lbs. If you can recommend one or the other matching these machines let me know. thanks

2. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard from here that cat and takeuchi are the best, and also people said that bobcat has alot of problems. I think Cat is the best and new holland is a close second!

3. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

what size are you looking to get?

4. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

kfeft have you ever been in a excavator?

5. mrsops

i been doing the same testing cat and bobcat i heard that bobcats 435 zhs is stronger then cats 303. i tested the 305 has alot of power

6. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

I am Biased towards cat. I've had luck with them. Great customer service. AND ITS A CAT!!!!! Have also tried deere, gehl. volvo (nice machine!), and takeuchi. Cat more than likely will be the most $$, but in my opinion money well $$.

For example whe I purchased my skidsteer...looked at gehl which really impressed me, however they had no service trucks, so any service that needed to be done to the machine had to be brought in. That was one reason that detered me from gehl.

7. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

It is going to range from what size your looking at to which one is the best. I like Cat and Takeuchi but if I were to go with a Mini around the 7,000 to 8,000 pound class I would like the Deere 35D ZTS. That is one of my most favorite mini to run. A guy I sub work with owns a brand new one and I love to run that thing. It is the perfect size mini in my opinion to work in the tight areas that we do all our work in. It is fast, powerful, smooth controls, and has good reach for its size.

On a side note, I know the new Cat minis have a angle blade left or right on them now. I don't know if any other brands have that now yet but if you are digging ditches allot and backfill them with the same machine then that would be a time saver and a half.

8. getthenet

getthenet LawnSite Member

I looked at my records for our bobcat store in 06 we spent over $15000 alone on an excavator. We always rent a 331 with breaker or buckets. I have not seen what we paid in rent for 07 yet but I know it was quite a bit more than 06. I can buy a machine for around $10000 a year and it will be mine in 4 yrs. I tested a bobcat 430 and loved it. It had a 3ft bucket and a 2 ft bucket. There is no way you could dig mud with a 3 ft. bucket in the 430. it will lift and move it fine but gets tipsy spinning around with 3 ft. bucket. The 430 also had the fast track which I could not stand at first. After getting used to it though, I really liked it. As ma5tr said, volvo is a nice machine. I have heard alot of people say this. I talked to a volvo rep today and he is going to try to let me demo one. Bobcat and cat are both here in my town so they are probably going to be my choice. Another choice is cab or no cab. I think I would rather it be open because of dirty windows and not being able to hear others talking back to me. (sometimes could be a good thing.) thanks for input

9. mrsops

you wont be saying that when its raining on you or the dust is flying all over your face lol you can always open the windows like i do when someone wants to talk to me lol

10. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Every bobcat Mini I have ever ran ( I own a 2006 430 ZHS) has been weak as a kitten when it comes to power, yes it can curl a lot of weight but they want to flip over way to easy, and the teeth that bobcat uses are complete junk. The fast track is the only thing we like about it. Kubota put them to shame all across the board, we ran our machine versus a brand new Kubota KX91-3S demo digging utilities in fairly rocky ground with a 24" toothed bucket and the kubota was pulling away from the start( I was running the New Machine) My Brother who is our main operator was running the bobcat. It seems like they just have fallen behind everyone in the industry in quality and power.