Which eXmark do I buy? Air cooled or Liquid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CTodd, Jul 18, 2000.

1. CTodd

CTodd LawnSite Member

Listen guys, I am planning on buying an eXmark within the next two weeks. I need to know which mower you would buy and why. I have the option of buying a Lazer Z, with a 60" cut with either a 25 hp air cooled Kohler or a 22hp liquid cooled kaw for the same price. The price is $7800. Is that a good price? Let me know which mower and why. Also the dealer told me that you get as much power out of the liquid cooled 22 as you do the 25 air cooled. You tell me....

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The reason you would want to buy the water cooled engine is because it will last longer. It also makes less engine noise. When looking at engine power a better figure to look at is engine torque. Horsepower is merely a mathematical representative of RPM and torque. Torque is a measurement of twisting force and is represented in foot pounds. You can have 2 engines that make the same amount of torque but make the maximum torque at different RPMs. Engine #1 makes 20 ft. lbs of torque at 2000 RPMs and Engine #2 makes 20 ft. lbs of torque at 3000 RPMs. Engine #2 has no more usable torque (twisting force) than Engine #1 but it makes more horsepower because it makes it's maximum torque at a higher RPM. Kawasaki posts their engine torque figures on their web site. They are represented in a line graph that is easy to understand. Kohler only posts their figures as maximums. The Kawasaki 22 LC makes around 32-33 ft. lbs of torque and the Kohler 25 makes 40 ft. lbs of torque.<p><font size="1">Edited by: Richard Martin

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

1.) It's a decision to consider when the price difference is $800.00 as it normally is. I only keep my mowers 2-3 years, if you keep them longer, the LC is the way to go.<p>Being the SAME price, it's a no-brainer!<p>What's the difference in machines? Is one a '99 or a demo.<p>2.) For your dealers' information 25 is 3 more than 22, my first grade son knows that. Oh, yeah, the 25 will power the 60&quot; or 72&quot;, the 22LC is only for the 60&quot;.<p>1000 or 1500 hours of engine use, the 22LC maybe more powerful.

4. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

A 60&quot; Lazer Z with a 23 Kohler can be purchased for $6800.00 <p>A 62&quot; Z Master for less then that <p>

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Where on the Lazers?

6. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah where can you get a lazer for that price. My dealer is about 1000 mre than that if im not mistaken.

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

all the dealers in my area have the same price for the z master and the lazer. (62/60 kohlor 25) there all about $7400.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't even consider the Toro Z. Same machine but you won't get the cut quality as the Exmark. There just isn't the deck lift on the left side.(Not as deep) I have both the LC and the EPS (Fuel injected) The EPS has an INCREDIBLE amount more power than the LC. While the LC runs a little quieter, the EPS is quite a bit faster. One thing that I considered when I bought my last one (the EPS) was value. The suspension seat is NICE to say the least! And by the time I added up the price of that, the foot operated deck lift-which is a MUST if you've worked one, and the large canister air filter, all these options added up to about as much as the higher horsepower that has all these things standard. Good luck with it and I wish you the bestwith your decision. Anyway you go, you're in good hands with Exmark.<br>

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I think Exmark hads a deal on LC units right now, $1000 off.<p>Got one more question not related to this, but to Lazers in general. To those who have used both, what would be your choice be, a 52&quot; Lazer or 52&quot; Lazer HP? Does the standard Lazer perform better on hills?

10. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

We prefer the Lazer HP for the smaller footprint. We are able to use it in tighter situations. On steep hills and berms we use a walk behind w/sulky. Coming down a steep hill on lush grass with an 1000# mower is a thrill we can do without