Which Exmark Z to purchase?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JeffK, Nov 8, 2006.

1. JeffK

JeffK LawnSite Member

I'm looking at purchasing my first Zero turn for next year and would like opinions on which unit would be the best.

I have decided with the contracts that I have for next year that a 60" is the most efficient (currently running a 52'' turf tracer w/sulky).

My choices are:

1. 2005 Exmark LXS31BV604 (incl. striper, lights and mulch kit) with 23 hours for $8400
    2. 2005 Exmark 2760 with 45 hours for $7900
    3. 2006 Exmark 2760 with 25 hours for $9000

I will be adding a collection system in the spring (not sure which one yet). If I go with a collection system that is belt operated I feel that 27hp would be my minimum requirements. The dealer has 23 hp units, but I have elected to pass on them.

I really like the XS model but have some apprehensions about the briggs. The dealer advised me that it Briggs teamed up with diahatsu (spelling) and the mower has been pretty stout and he claims that the mower would be more powerful than the 2760's.

I would like others thoughts on this. Please note that all 3 mowers come from the same dealer and service is not an issue. The '06 would carry a new warranty, as this mower was a demo. The other mowers have a warranty that would end in the spring (not much help).

I understand that the XS has a larger frame, larger tires and I believe larger hydro pumps over the 2760.

Please give me some insite. Thanks

Jeff

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

If you're running a belt driven collection system, I'd go with the 31 hp Vanguard. These engines are very good. I have over 450 hours using a XS and it's run perfect, tons of power. Only downside is that it's thristy. I haven't personally read a bad thing about them on here. They aren't synonomous with the crappy B&S engines of years past.

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

With the amount o fmoney you are paying for any of these, I would go with the 2006 2760 and get the two year warranty. All it takes is a hydro going out and you could have bought the new one anyway for the same or less money.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I like #1 exept you will loose trim ability with the larger XS model. #2 the 27/60 has the ultracut deck which I love. I have the same mower and you could not pry it away from me. #3 has the Triton deck so it needs to be upgraded before you buy.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would go for the 1st mower with the vanguard engine. I myself have had great luck with the vanguard that is on a wb and I would definitly pick that engine over a kohler. The price is also quite reasonable since it has some features and extras the other mowers dont have.

Plus, its an xs so you go faster LOL

6. dozerdogue

dozerdogue LawnSite Member
    from CT

I would chose the 1st one also I demoed one and they have tons of power. Also you would be getting the better deck IMO.

7. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have the exact same mower as #1. The briggs runs very well no complaints there. Tacoma is right about the reduced trim edge on the XS. Allot depends on your properties you will be using it on. The EX is a big heavy mower. If you're doing all of smaller tight stuff soil compaction and tearing in thin turf may be and issue. It's hard to fault the Ultra-Cut decks on the 05's so #2 would be my second choice not having feedback on how well the updates on the Triton deck.

-TAZ