Which Fall Fertilizer Should I Use?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by joed, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes .... P does not bind to cation exchange sites, contrary to what you stated.

Why? The statement is correct, unlike yours.

BTW, precipitation/dissolution of P is not "only" a function of concentration, but also more importantly a function of pH and secondarily the type of P. Perhaps if you actually understood the subjects you pretend to be an expert on you would realize this.

2. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

Plus 1

That is the concern - P is not bound and if not used by the plant then it inflitrates to ground water or carried with water shed to streams and lakes. Causes blooms which leads to fish kills.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

ELS,

P in solution is not like nitrate for example. While P can and does leach, the potential for leaching is generally low, unlike nitrate which has a much higher potential for leaching. The bigger problem (in general) with P pollution is erosion of soils and off-target apps.

4. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

I know that N is now the focus but P was first targeted. One would assume because there is little need to add P and P added was often free to enter the water shed

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Colorado University did a paper one time about 80% of the P getting into the watershed came from tree leaves along the shoreline... they didn't get into the anaerobic bacteria that broke down the leaves into their constituent components, but that would be fun to know... :)

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I find it interesting that 2 highly intelligent and well educated individuals can come to very different conclusions from scientific research. Science is always evolving, and many times the answers depend upon how the questions are asked. Science has greatly increased our understanding of so many things. The knowledge gained is greatly enhanced when integrated with wisdom and wonder.

OTOH, I don't find it interesting when these discussions include demeaning personal comments towards those who hold different opinions.