1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which fertilizer and grass seed do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by nate121080, Mar 19, 2006.

1. nate121080

nate121080 LawnSite Member
    from va

I've been doing commercial mowing for 2 years now. I'm wanting to reseed my Dad's yard to do get a more green like appearance so my stripes will stand out more. I have no idea of what type of grass is in it now. Were not looking to spend a fortune since we live out in the country and no body really sees it but us. I live in SouthWest Virginia if that helps any. Which grass seed and fertilizer do you recommend? Its suppose to rain here Mon, Tues, and Wed. We're going to rent an aerorater (sp) to use after the rain quits since the ground will be a little softer. I applied 10-10-10 and pellitized lime to it yesterday. After we aerorate it we will lime and refertilize again. Is the proper way to do it and would you use the same fertilize again or a different concentrate? Which brand and type of grass seed also would you recommend. Nothing fancy just wanting a grass that grows dense and stays green. You can tell just by looking that our soil needs alot of nutrients. Any help would be appreciated!

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

First for the best/proper results you really should have done this in the fall not the spring. Then you also need to KNOW what the pH of the soil is instead of just blindly throwing lime down. Also 10-10-10 is nothing more than very basic garden fertilizer. Get a soil sample and have it lab tested.

IF you are determined on seeding this time of year where you are located you'll want to use a high quality fescue blend like Lesco carries. IF you don't have a Lesco then maybe use Rebel. You Must water properly for the next 10 days to ensure proper germination and then for it to make it through the summers months heat stress it will need at least 1" of water each week. Also get a REAL lawn fertilizer blend, based on the soil testing, not a vegatable garden fert.
  3. nate121080

nate121080 LawnSite Member
    from va

Thanks Mike. I know it's better to do it in the fall but Dad doesnt want to wait until the fall. A friend of mine who is a landscaper also recommended Rebel. I will get some lawn fertilizer and spread it tomorrow. Its suppose to rain the next 3 days. We also thought about getting some cow manure from a farmer friend of ours and using that as fertilizer. When we built a garage behind the house about 6 years ago thats what we used and its the thickest greenest grass in the yard, just dont want to smell cow crap for a week! ;)
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

The only Fescue I use is Winning Colors from Lebanon.

Had good results with it.