Which field and brush mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EMJ, Sep 28, 2007.

1. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I am planning to start bidding on over grow properties. I am wondering who makes the best rough terrain mower. I am looking at Gravely, Billy Goat, and the DR. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
  2. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i use a 44 in. swisher rough cut with a 12.5 briggs motor. i believe it was around $1300. has been a good money maker for me this year......clay
  3. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

What size lots are you talking? Gravely walk behind will handle pretty tall stuff. My Woods mower deck works good for larger lots.

4. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

Mostly 1/4 acre city lots. To small for a bush hog. I was thinking around a 36 inch deck.
  5. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

Our family has a 1.5 acre lake lot that I maintain. There is a hill on one side of the lot that hasn't been cut in about 10 years. It was overgrown with heavy brush and tall weeds and was starting to encroach onto the maintained area and I was trying to figure out the best way to clean it up. I really didn't want to rent a brush hog for a relatively small area. That's when I came up with a possible solution.

This summer I bought a used 48” Ferris Hydrowalk to use as a backup. It was in very nice shape and an incredible deal, I couldn't pass it up. However, it rarely comes off of the trailer. So I raised the deck and headed for the hill. I took it slow at first to see how it would handle the overgrowth. Before long I was plowing over 8' high woody brush. The heavy stuff was up to 2” in diameter and the mower never skipped a beat. That thing is built like a tank! It chipped it all up into a fine mulch. When I was finished, the hill looked great and I had found another purpose for my backup mower.

Anyway, it worked out well for me. The thing is, I know this property and I didn't have to worry about debris or trash. If you are cutting a city lot you will have to do a very thorough walk thru first. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend this for a machine that you use for a finish cut, but a used mower dedicated for that type of work may be the answer. I can definitely vouch for my old Ferris!

Sorry for the long post.:sleeping: