Which First mower would you purchase, eXmark 27 LC Kaw or eXmark 31 LC?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by littlenic, Oct 8, 2003.

1. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

Which First mower would you purchase, eXmark 27 LC Kaw or eXmark 31 LC?

I would like a little input. I’m a 46 yr, just retired for medical reasons. My son has been working for a local LCO here in North Fla for a little while. This really seems to fit him very well, working outside all day. Longest job he has ever had. I am setting up a new business with him and have been looking at an eXmark 27 hp LC Kaw with 60” deck, (waiting on the 04), cost about $9,000. Not a bad price but not great price either. I can purchase a new 03 eXmark 31 hp LC with a 60” deck for 11,250. My son uses a 31 now and commented on the difference between the 27 and 31 when we tested out a 03 27 hp LC. My biggest concern is the dual mule belts on the 31, they say they have it fixed but I though I’d ask what do you think. Plan on making the purchase on the 17th.

Let me say that I have truly enjoyed reading this forum and have learned so much by just reading your post and want to thank each of you for your help.

Thanks, littlenic

2. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

You dont say what your applications will be. Is it mostly residential and small commercials or are you going for the big acres like sportfields etc.? How many hours a day are you gonna mow?
    Both the 27 l/c Kaw and the 31 hp is more than enough power for a 60" deck - if not over powered.
    The prices you quoted $9000 and $11 250 respectively is very pricy. I will shop value for money. There are a lot of good quality brands available in the market.
    Good Luck
    PC

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I would disagree, I have a 52" 27HP and their have been several times I wish it had more power.

4. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

If this is your first, you are just starting, and you are doing residential, and you have hills, I would look at the Convertible. It will serve the purpose of both a ZTR and a walk for steep hills.

If you don't have hills, I would look at the Wright Stander. Very productive and quick. Demo it!

If you want a true ZTR, best bang for the buck would be the new Lesco ZTR. I don't remember what they call it, but a lot of mower for the money. Same as the CubCadet Tank but about $1500 less.

5. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

pcnservices,

We plan on both, One contract we are shooting for is a private school that my son has been mowing all summer. It takes him about 6 hours with one man most of it mowing. The other is residential and to be completely honest with you I don’t know exactly what we will be doing. I know I would really like to do this with him, get him setup doing something he likes and seems to be good at. We plan on doing leaf removal this fall to start. Looking at the three-bagger Ultravac system for that. As far as price, I have called the three eXmark dealers within 100-150 miles and my local dealer has out-bid the others by far. I really want to form a strong relationship with my hometown dealer. It seems to be working well so far. I have already purchased a Stihl BR 420c BP blower and two KM110R with 2 string trimmers a stick edger, and hedge trimmer. I didn’t want to be mowing and wish I had more power.

6. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

(Quoted by Dieseldeere:
    I have a 52" 27HP and their have been several times I wish it had more power.)

You need to mow lawns with that 52" 27 hp machine of your's whatever it is, and not pastures or for harvesting purposes. LOL

7. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

QUOTE: You need to mow lawns with that 52" 27 hp machine of your's whatever it is, and not pastures or for harvesting purposes. LOL

I mow only residential lots with my 2003 27HP 52" eXmark Lazer Z.

8. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I think the 27hp will be fine, I don't know if the 31 is worth 2500 more.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wait a minute now....am I lost or aren't we comparing a 27hp gas to a 31hp diesel?

I don't know about that much price difference, but to me the diesel would be worth more and I bet it has a load more useable power than the gas engine.

littlenic, if I were you I'd demo in some rough conditions. You might could even split the difference and go with the 27hp diesel. However, I would shop brands and try several mowers out before even settling on a brand, much less a mower choice.

I've been in the "thinking" stage about adding a 60" Z to my trailer. But I haven't gotten any farther than that so far. But I will say I put together a shopping list atleast. You may want to consider some of these as well.

Other than Exmark, in ABC order....

Ferris IS 3000
    Grasshopper 428D
    Gravely PM 260Z
    Hustler Z
    Lesco Z-Two

10. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

rule #1 you can never have to much HP