Which gas trimmer TORO or ECHO

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by meathead1134, Apr 9, 2004.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

:confused:

All right here I go again. I have a question on which gas trimmer to buy. First of all Let me say I'm starting off small and eventually working my way up. I know there are bigger and better trimmers out there but, this is my side job as of right now. OK here is the info

Toro
    model 51930
    1 HP motor
    17 inch
    12.5lbs
    $139.00

or

Echo
    model GT 200R
    21.2cc
    16 inch
    9.3 lb
    $149.99
    There is a Echo dealer near me about 2 miles or so
    There is a Toro dealer about 5 or 6 miles away

What do you think would be the better trimmer for me???
    any info would be gladly appreciated :)

Ken

2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

ECHO, it shouldnt even really be a question.

3. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Do not buy either one if they are curved shafts! Im just assuming that for $149 that it is the curved shaft.

4. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

the only thing echo makes that is worth while buying is their top handled cs340 arbor saw. And thats only if your doing tree work and only because you can buy 2 for the price of a husqvarna or stihl. I just got a john deer xt170 for $399 CAD and I love it. Even if you are small you should only buy good equipment. Especially if you plan on growing when I first started out in tree care I bought a lot of cheap equipment based soley on price and ended up spending way more money on equipment (not to mention lost income from down time). No matter how much work you are doing or not doing ALWAYS buy the best piece of equipment for the job you are going to do. Otherwise you'll have nothing but head aches. Just my .02

5. Chief67

Chief67 LawnSite Member

Echo is fine to get started with but when you go full time go with Shindaiwa... the best on the market!

6. lawnmagicinc

lawnmagicinc LawnSite Member
    from jax fl

i would by a echo befor any thing

7. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

nothing but an echo and a 260 at that

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Echo....all the way. But....don't get either of the trimmers that you mentioned. Curve shaft trimmers suck. I don't even understand why they are made. If you are looking for an inexpensive, good trimmer to start with I would go with the Echo 210. That being said I have the Echo 261T...it is a bad mother.:weightlifter:

9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo 210 would do just fine...

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Toro no longer makes commercial trimmers and the one your looking at is a homeowner model and will not last long at all if your going to be using it much. Go with Echo but not the model your looking at since its a homeowner model as well. Echo's SRM260 is a commercial trimmer and would be a much better choice than the one you have mentioned.