Which grass/fertilizer/soil prep, etc...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Trumpet, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Trumpet

Trumpet LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    First post here. Anyway, the wife and I bought our first house in December. It's on a 1/2 acre here in Southern MD. Anyway, the soil is pretty sandy down here, and the ground feels "squishy". I'm not sure if it's a lot of thatch or if it's the broadleaf type weeds in the lawn.

Anyway, I plan on doing a core aeration (I was told it could never hurt), followed by re-seeding and then fertilizing. Now, my wife is a huge gardener and wants to go organic.

We get the "Garden's Alive" catalog and I was thinking of ordering some of their grass seed and fertilizer/weed control. Have any of you used this brand? I don't really care about having a weed free lawn, I would just rather have more grass than weeds.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always used Scott's and it never really did well. Then I went over to a local guy here that sells lawn products. He actually sells seed that is for South Jersey sandy soil, it is called South Jersey blend. It comes in the 50 pound burlap bags and It geminates well and looks good. Mostly rye and tall Fescue, It has worked well for me. Maybe see if you can find a local dealer that has something like this for your area..
  3. Trumpet

Trumpet LawnSite Member

I also received a "Free lawn/soil analysis" offer from Scott's lawn service. Should I go for it?
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have sandy ground, here in Southern Md, your best plan of action would be to add organic matter. Look at your local nurseries, I forget the name of the one on the right, just a little before the Amish market, on 301 south, just past Hughesville (might be Wentworth's or starts with a w). Anyway ask if they apply Compro, or its equivalent. What it is is composted leaves, or composted leaves + biosolids of some sort. You can buy it by the bag, for small areas, or by the dump truck for bulk application. I have done this many times, what you want to do is apply about 1/2" to an inch, over a freshly aerated lawn, then apply lime, amount determined by soil test, lightly fertilize, and seed. Best time to do this is NOT the spring! Do it around the last week of August to the first week of October, when seasonal storms provide more water. I get down to Hughesville on occasion, if you aren't too much further south than that, I might be able to advise you on the best course of action. Advice is free on the computer, but with gas at $3.25+, consultation fee is $75/hr. Dave:waving:
  5. Trumpet

Trumpet LawnSite Member

Thanks Dave :waving:

I'm in the Waldorf area.