Which grass seed to use

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Helen Allen, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Helen Allen

Helen Allen LawnSite Member

I live in middle Georgia and have mostly St. Augustine grass. Tru-Green Chem Lawn is doing a 6 treatment lawn service, and they did the first one in March. I had some dacondra and a lot of broad leaf weeds. With what they killed and the ones I pulled out myself there are bare spots, large ones. I cannot afford to plug or sod the St. Augustine, so can I seed the bare spots? Will that just fill in the bare spots, or will it take over the St. Augustine.

If this is do-able, what kind of grass seed could I use? Probably a dumb question, but this is the homeowner section, and some of us are green skills challenged :blush:

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You can't get St. Augustine in seed form,so your best bet is to seed with a fescue blend,like Rebel II.No,it won't take over the St.Augustine,but later,the St.Augustine will take it over.
    Another option is to take plugs of St.Augstine from your established lawn and plant them in the bare spots.It doesn't take much and the grass will soon creep across the bare area.Adding some sand and black cow to the area will speed up the process.Also,add sand/black cow mixture to the areas you pulled the plugs from and it will grow together as well.

3. Helen Allen

Helen Allen LawnSite Member

Thanks Nick! I will try some of the plugging, and some fescue mix. Now I have to embarrass myself again and ask what sand/black cow is. Is it like some kind of potting soil?

4. NickN

from Alabama

Hi Helen,
    You can get the sand and black cow at Lowes.The mix is just that,mix the two together,1 part sand to 6 parts black cow.Black cow is composted manure.My grandaddy taught me this years ago for St.Augustine.He never had money,but he did have a beautiful St. Augustine lawn.Try to get "coarse" sand if possible.Not masons sand!1 pound of sand per 6 pounds of black cow.Spread this in-between the area where your plugs are placed and the St.Augustine will run into it.Place your plugs 8 inches apart in a checkerboard pattern.Use 4 inch plugs.You can also get a stand on plug puller from Lowes as well.It will be in the section with the gardening hand tools.

5. br1dge

br1dge LawnSite Member

I suggest NOT mixing fescue with St Aug - it will look shoddy. www.ntep.org if you are looking to renovate - provides rankings of all turfgrasses.

6. NickN

from Alabama

True,it won't look great,but look at what she's trying to accomplish.She needs to cover the bare areas,just until the St.Augustine starts running again.I'll guarantee that fescue will not stand a chance against St. Augustine.Especially if it's in the sun.

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain...