1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which grass to sow?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by The Curious Porpoise, Mar 8, 2006.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

this is my second year in the lawn biz and i foresee more overseeding this year. i live in NJ which is in zone 6 (i believe). when my customers ask for grass seed, how do i know what to sow? i don't know how to look at a lawn and determine what type of grass it is, so how do i know what seed to use? i heard somewhere that a blend of kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, and fescue works best in my area. how do u guys go about this? i know that certain types of grasses stand up better to different situations such as high foot traffic, etc., but do u guys actually ask the customers about their lifestyle to determine what grass seed to use, or do you just use the same blend (or non-blend) for each house.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

See your local lesco dealer tell em what you need.
  3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

depends on the home family use of lawn. im in your same area weather wise (detroit) those seeds are correct, but if lawn was sod it is bluegrass. ryes and fescues are much hardier and more tolerant of kids dogsd traffic non watering and drought so dependingon lawn use you can use any of the above. The most critical part is buying a good seed and knowing how to read the back. Name brands will amze you when you read the ingredients on the back panel . They arent what they SEEM'