Which grasshopper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Johnson LCO, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I have narrowed my search down to two choices. They are two used, diesel grasshoppers, one a 722 and the other a 721. They both cost the same amount of money. Before you think I am stupid for not taking the 722, read the description of each.
    721- A 2002 model with 61 inch deck, only 250 hours and dump from seat bagging system. The bagger is a must so the fact that this one has one already is a big plus.
    722- A 2006 model with 61 inch deck, and 1100 hours. No bagging system. I like this because of the bigger engine that has more torque and is also more fuel efficient.
    Which model is the best value? I am on a limited budget and am leaning towards the 721 but am afraid I will regret not getting the bigger engine. I can get a bagging system later for like 1500$ but I really cant change the engine. Which one will have a better resale value in 5 years? Which will last longer? Is there any adavantages ot the newer model that make it worth the money? Please help, I am really torn between the two and need to make a decision. Thanks

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Between those specific two machines, I would go with the 721 as long as it's a G2, which I believe it should be in an '02. The 721 is MORE fuel efficient than a 722 until you work it hard. A new bagging system for the 722 would cost you in the neighborhood of $1800-ish. The 722 may begin to need some deck work depending on how it was used, like bearing. If you can do the work yourself it really isn't that expensive. If everything else was identical I would go 722.

What other options do the machines have? Hydraulic deck lift, etc? What kinda price are we talking?

The resale on the 722 prolly won't go down much farther. The 721 will a bit more but not drastically as the hours accumulate. Diesel grasshoppers, at least in the area are rarely below 7k used no matter how many hours as long at it isn't beat to death.

3. Johnson LCO

Thanks, I was hoping you would respond to this because you seem to have a lot of experience with these machines. Both have manual lift decks from what I can tell. Is there much difference in power between the two? I am going to offer 6k.

4. PLM-1

I do have experience with these machines. I am also really good friends with the dealer here so if there is something I can't answer I will definitely find out for you. Mowingman here on LS is also a dealer and is VERY helpful as well. My opinion is that there is NO better machine than a Grasshopper frontdeck!

Yes there is, you will only really notice it when you load the machine in the grass. I think the 721 handles better than the 722 because of the weight distribution.

5. Johnson LCO

Why did you sell your 722? So are you saying the 721 is better? Neither has an option the other doesnt except for the bagger.

6. PLM-1

I sold my 722 for a 928. I wouldn't say the 721 is better, it's different. They are both great machines. The 721 was one of my favorites until the 722 came out. I never really had a need for the 928 until i really started to bag a lot on big hills; otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten rid of the 722. The 928/32 is the king of kings, it handles everything better than any of the other frontdecks; hills, valleys, thick and wet grass, rides better, etc.

7. Johnson LCO

Most of the properties I service are very flat. I had enough power with the hustler with a 25 horse kawi I used, will the 721 perform comparably to the hustler? I mean I wont bag except for leaves and if I wanted to go as slow as a walker I would buy a walker.

8. micgre01

micgre01 LawnSite Member

I am looking at some different grasshoppers on ebay (midmount) I am not sure what new grasshoppers cost but want a midmount diesel, anybody know the new price on a 322d midmount, its 22 hp liquid cooled and a 61" cut? the one I am looking at has 500 hrs, so I am trying to see if i would be better off to go spend a lil more and buy a brand new one,, anyone have experience with a 322D,, thanks for any help

9. PLM-1

Diesel's are a total different breed than a gas job. They really aren't comparable on ANY aspect. However, I would compare the 21 diesel to a 23/25 gas. The more you load a diesel, the more fuel it uses. They don't use a governor system like a gasser, so therefore it's difficult to shut a diesel down with a load; however, you can shut the deck down.

On speed, as long as it's not really thick wet growth you should be able to move quickly as long as it's a G2 machine. There are ways to turn the speed up or down if you aren't happy with that aspect--don't be fooled by the advertised speed, they can be turned up beyond the 10mph they are said to travel.

10. PLM-1

My first question I will ask is why do you want a midmount? Once you get used to a front mount grasshopper you won't be able to stand a midmount. TRUST ME!

On price, a nice slightly used machine isn't that much less than a new one. What price is the used one you are looking at?