1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which handheld blower???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jun 30, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Okay, I really want to snag a hand blower. There are many times a day I really need a hand blower for tight spots and for quick clean ups. The back is actually overkill for some jobs. Which should I get? I have my eye on shindaiwa or redmax. The eb240s or hbz2600/2601? Do the handheld redmax's have any problems with the stratocharged technology? I'm not a big fan of the ebz7001 back pack I have. Or is there another I shoud look at? Any input is appreciated. This blower will not replace the backpacks and is just for small jobs.
  2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i run stihl, but stay w/ ur redmax dealer imo
  3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

stihl here also....no problems....
  4. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not a small backpack like Echo PB-265L, Stihl 380, or the little Redmax?
  5. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

Go with the stihl. They are about $200 per unit by me and very durable, quick, and light. Feels more powerful than an Echo handheld and lasts longer in my experience.
  6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

y even bother w/ a handheld though? its one more piece of equipment to maintain, not very versaitle, and a good bit of money for something that power-less. use the backpack, save money, and be able to PROPERLY blow out the grooves on the hard surfaces after your done w/ the lawn.
  7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with duramax, the handhelds aren't very versatile. You are going to be spending about $200 on one only to use it very little. You will definately notice a difference in power from the backpack to the handheld. But if you really want one get one, and my vote would be for STIHL.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Dude just use what you have. A backpack works good for most everything. Its just another piece of equipment to maintain and take up space in the truck and trailer.
  9. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

In my experience the handhelds are an absolute necessity for cleaning up after trimming shrubs. I can get under the bushes and have a really clean looking bed. I own two of the stihl 85's and two echo backpacks, oh yeah and one worthless kawasaki backpack. Most of time on residential I reach for a stihl handheld and my workers are the same way. Why fool with a cumbersome backpack for a few minutes of clean up. and they really do come in handy for clean up.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

I'll have to echo that on sthil hand helds, no pun intended.

Versatility comes from manuverability and the fact you cab back into tight corners without scarping that bakpack up on the house.

Besides these days the backpacks have the power the old wheelblowers had and the handhelds have the power the old backpacks had.

I bought a stihl handheld two weeks ago, it has atleast the power of my old echo back pack when it was new and now its actually MORE powerful