1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which handheld blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I am going to get a new handheld blower sometime soon and was wondering which one you all thought was the best. I know most of you use backpacks and would recommend them but I just don't need one. No more than I will be doing a handheld will work fine.

Here is my choices:

Echo PB 200- 305 cfm, 145 mph, $150

Shindawia EB240S- 307 cfm, 166 mph, Don't know price but maybe you all can give me an idea.

Stihl BG 55-430 cfm, 140 mph, $160

Thanks for your replies.
  2. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

travis i cant speak for others but i had a new pb 200 echo,cold collared,at times hard to start,mite blow 200 but weak as heck 200.the redmax will blow it away.of the 3 i would say stihl.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Echo PB210E. The case has straight sides so you don't have to hold it out from your body as far as you would a brand with a round case. Its better ballanced so it hangs in your hand very easy, less tiring to use. Very dependable. I have 3 of them, oldest is a 1990.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i han the echo and liked it
    i like the redmax we have now better.
    only problem is it looks like a homelite ( color)
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had a friend tell me about a weed eater fl1500. The local northern tool has them for 49.95. The specs are are 300cfm @150 mph. They work great for me on grass clippings, it isnt very powerful for leaves but if you are doing your own yard it is ok. I have used it for 3 years and been very pleased with it. I figured if it got stolen or I ran over it I wouldnt be out of much. If and when it quits I will purchase another
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl BG85 is much better than the BG55 for just a few dollars more. I have 3 of them. I also have a Redmax handheld and I would not buy another, less power , less features and cheaper construction than the Stihls.
  7. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Don't let that cfm spec on the Stihl fool you. I believe that is the volume without the tube.
    I've had the Echo and the Shindaiwa listed. I've never had the Stihl BG 55, but I do have the larger BG 85. Of the three, the Shindaiwa performed the best. It's gonna eat up two bills, however.
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with cutnedge. The Shin would be my choice as well. Ours was around 5 years old when it got lost last month off the trailer, bt it was put thru hell and then some, and still fired up and did what it was meant to do. Very handy for bed cleanouts for the WB blower and BPs as well.Around here, they run around $ 185-200.00..
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Echo PB210E , used to use one at work and was very dependable.
  10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

That cfm spec for the Stihl is with the tube. I looked twice to make sure because I couldn't believe it. Out of the three I like the Shindawia the best even though i've never used one but like to hear you all's comments so keep em' coming.