Which handheld spreader does everyone recommend

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tomas21, May 21, 2010.

1. tomas21

tomas21 LawnSite Member
    from CA

Looking to fertilizer a 500-600 sq ft area and wondering which handheld spreader to go with.

I've heard a lot of them tend to jamb.

2. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

Get a drop spreader if your worried about a hand spreader jamming up. You could probably get one for around $20.

3. tomas21

tomas21 LawnSite Member
    from CA

I'm reluctant to get the drop spreader since I seen what they can do to a lawn... brown/burn/streaks.

Scotts has two handhelds..

Scotts® Easy® Hand-Held Spreader
    Scotts® HandyGreen® II Hand-Held Spreader

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I like my Scotts handheld for small areas.

Drop spreaders work better when you cut the rate in half and do the area twice, in two different directions.

5. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Who else makes a handheld spreader besides scotts?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Earthway makes a handheld. I have had mine for about ten years now. I have put it through some he ll and back too. We use it to seed and fert smaller areas of turf and also broadcast over a larger landscape. It will hold about ten cups so measurements are easy.

Mine looks like this just with the bottom corner cracked off and faded pink.

http://www.earthway.com/product/hand-3/

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  7. tomas21

tomas21 LawnSite Member
    from CA

Any preference on the scotts models and techniques?

Scotts® Easy® Hand-Held Spreader
    Scotts® HandyGreen® II Hand-Held Spreade

8. bwhite82

bwhite82 LawnSite Member

I have the Scotts® HandyGreen® II Hand-Held Spreader. I used it a few weeks ago to put down fert. The lawn now looks great. It has a pretty decent spread width. You use basic spreader techniques ie watch path overlap, consistent walking speed, consistent hand-cranking speed, etc. For small areas, it does a good job. Just be sure to know how much of your particular fert to apply over your given area and you should be fine.

9. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

Hmmm... Luckily I've never had any of those problems with my drop spreader. However I do follow the application directions and overlap when applying. But it's ultimately up to you, just thought I would throw an idea out there.