Which hedge trimmer, Echo HC160, Shindaiwa DH230 or Kawasaki 600A

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Mar 16, 2004.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have narrowed my search for a new hedge trimmer down to these 3 models. Can anyone share their experiences with the models to help me finalize my choice. Thanks:

1. Echo HC160
    24" double sided blade
    21.1cc, 0.9 hp engine
    12.2 lbs
    $529 Canadian

2. Shindaiwa DH230
    24" double sided blade
    22.5 cc, 1.1 hp engine
    12.2 lbs
    $545 Canadian

3. Kawasaki 600A
    24" blade
    22.5 cc, 0.9 hp engine
    12.6 lbs
    $569 Canadian

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

those prices seem outright outrageous to me. i'll have to check, but i believe i bought my DH230 for $290 USD. Your price is $410USD! I've been pretty happy with my DH230. i payed it off in 2 days of light trim work last season.

3. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

stihl fs 80 $320

4. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

it seems like your best bet for the money is the shindaiwa

i have a kaw. and redmax's (same as shin) 2 cycle products . and their both real good engines. i have never used the echo's engine so i couldn't say anything about them but have heard their pretty crappy.

5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

I think the shinnys are top shelf

6. premier lawn care

premier lawn care LawnSite Member
    from Tx

Kawi all the way! We have had Echo, Stihl, and Shindawa and non come close to the Kawi! We have 5 and could not be happier. Do yourself a favor and buy it, test it, and in the case you don't like it return it! Kawi hand held products have a no ?'s asked 10 day return policy. Ask your dealer or look on their web sit. Good Luck

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Since I've used those chainsaw style machines for years, spend the extra money on a mid shaft trimmer. they will do anything the chainsaw style will do and 100 other things much better, too.
    DP

shc-210sm.gif

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Joe, check out the Echo HC2410.....40" bar single sided... a personal favorite that's sitting next to a semi-retired 1600. Once you get the hang of a long bar single there's no going back!

hedge trimmers.jpg

9. 1acreplus

1acreplus LawnSite Member

So why is a single better? I'm just guessing, but less reciprocating mass == less fatigue?

10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

They take some getting used to, especially if you trained on a double but the offset handle gives the singles much better balance & the fact that the handle is actually on the blade gives the operator excellent control. They actually feel like an extension of your arm after some practice. The added bar length is also a bonus...I believe the max bar on a double sided is 30".