Which Hedge Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Nobody, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Nobody

Nobody LawnSite Member

Which Hedge Trimmer?

I'm attempting to purchase a hedge trimmer and have narrowed the field down to two.

The Husqvarna 326HD75x
    and
    The Stihl HS 80

The Husky is about $420 and the Stihl is about $389

I priced electronic ignition modules and the Husky was about $60-65 and the Stihl is about $30.

I've heard that the Husky is a little easier to work on. Its rotate-able handle seems a little more stout and easier to use.

There is only one store, reasonably close to me (Tacoma area), that sells the Husqvarna hedger. Plenty that sell some of the, saws and mowers. However, there are many, many Stihl dealers. My biggest complaint of the husky.

Other than the price. ;)

I know nothing about how the two perform or their durability.

Any suggestions?

Any experience with either, both?

If so what did you like and didn't like?

Which came first?
    Which company seems more innovative?

I mostly prune a long hawthorn hedge, but will use it in other areas including scotch broom and black, thimble, and salmon berries, and conifer and other trees. I already have a Stihl trimmer/clearing saw. I could get the hedger attachment for the Stihl but it is about as much as buying the complete hedger. I may purchase the pole hedger attachment latter. I will probably have the hedger in excess of 30 years, easily.

My chain saw is a Stihl 045 super 5.0 from the 70's. The Stihl trimmer is 15 years old. :up

Any experience with other brands is acceptable too. Please include model numbers of preferred and avoidable machines, and why.

Please don't just say "I didn't like it" or "had trouble with it", please explain what problems you had and why. Please also list what you liked about them and why.

Thanks. I hope this can be a collection of what is good and bad about hedgers such that people can make informed decisions about their specific equipment needs.

PS, Is Tanaka 2-stroke oil a good choice. It seems hard to find Mobil 1. I've also heard mineral based oil resists rusting longer than synthetics. Is the Tanaka blend a good choice for long no-use periods?

Thanks again.

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Stihl KM85R with hedge trimmer attachment, and an HS45 for smaller stuff. The HS45 actually seems to have more cutting power, but the 18" bar is a little short at times. I'm thinking an HS80 may be a nice addition to my Stihl collection next season.

4. Nobody

Nobody LawnSite Member

From the Speedwaysales.com web site.

From the Tanaka web site.
    A great sounding machine. I'm a little more interested in the big brother. I won't probably use it much more than an hour straight before laying it away or setting it down to do something else, so overall weight isn't as important. Power, speed, durability and parts many many years latter, are.

What is missing from the above specifications are twig diameter, and a consistency between what the manufactures report. It is a little like comparing apples and oranges. Apples are red, oranges don't have seeds, you peel an orange with your fingers, you cut an apple into sections...

Has anyone used both? What do they find similar, different, good bad?

PS, Sumner Tractor in Sumner Washington are Tanaka dealers too. I get most of my John Deere parts there. :cool2:

I don't know how the engine displacement and the durability of a product compare but larger engines producing less power are less "thermally loaded", perhaps? Durability is a highly variable factor, so hard to judge from specifications.

How easy is it to work on the Tanaka's?

Thanks again.

5. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

i have just bought a Stihl hs75 my last stihl a hs80 worked hard for many years [real hard work weekly] my hs80 works fine now but i have put it on the reserve list now ..the hs75 is lighter..i have had Tanaka and komatsu hedge trimmers none have been anywhere near as good or reliable as the stihls

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

get the tanaka. its the best on the market. trust me, you wont be dissopinted!

7. Rollacosta

Absolute bull chit..i have been using hedge trimmers for over 15 years and STIHL make the most reliable trimmer there is..i have a Tanaka its OK but the fuel tank got pierced by a thorn :cry: and for some crazy reason the fuel cap split into 2 horizontally :dizzy: ...anyone who knows anything about hedge cutting will know that Stihl make the best...get a stihl like i posted earlier i have a 5 year old stihl hs80 and it still works great its never been into the repair shop 'EVER'

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I should have stated before. Better then echo, because echo and tanaka are the only two I've used. sorry for the missunderstanding I posted.

but after using my new tanaka, I find something else being better hard to belive

9. Rollacosta

I own 4 stihl hedge trimmers

10. Rollacosta

like i posted Tanaka aren't a bad trimmer ,they are very good on light hedge work ,i actualy love my small Tanaka ,but if you are cutting hard woody hedges like cypress ,beech ,hornbean etc then you need a stihl IMO i think the gear boxes are much stronger,plus the blades are made of very high grade steel i have rarely ever sharpend my cutter..what ever you do, do not buy a KOMATSU/ZENOAH they are real trouble