1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which Hedge trimmer?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by I_am_a_beginner, Aug 15, 2011.

1. I_am_a_beginner

I_am_a_beginner LawnSite Member

Which brand is the best?Stihl, RedMax, Echo, Shindaiwa. Do 21cc is enough? If no, How many cc required?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Kawasaki 30" single sided blade
  3. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Echo,kawaski,stihl or redmax are all great.
  4. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't used them yet, but my help said he liked them. We just got a pair of husqvarna double blade ones they were around 300. To be honest i think i am going to slowly start going with husquvarna on everything handheld. Kawasaki is great too, but the rope is hard to pull on the trimmer i have. I am healing from riped ligamets in my hand and the husky pulls easier.

laryinalabama why single blade?
  5. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

redmax. Get the smallest one you need
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Single blade is so much safer alot safer twice as safe, these clippers will turn any part of your body they come into contact with into hamburger meatleg arm and especially a finger.

Also single blades are far better for small percise trimming of individual shrubes

They are also eaiser to sharpen without getting cut.

I have a double sided blade that attaches to ny stihl combi, by body never comes close to it, good for high stuff or ladder stuff.

If you stay in the business a long time you will have t trimmest on hand held an on on a pole.

But be carefull these things will cut through ac wire dishnetwork wire outdoor lighting wire dogs cats children pants gloves fingers etc.

A couple of tips- lubracate your blades with some type pf spray lubracante before during and after each use, that prevents the blades from getting clogged with plant materal and also helps prevent spreading of plant dease.
    On small shrub with large THICK leaves use your hand sissors clippers has they will cut throught the whole leaf cleanly, the gas ones will have those looking like crab in a week because every leaf thats jaggedly cut will turn brown.
  7. jhayden

jhayden LawnSite Member

Maruyama makes a really good hedge trimmer. Try to get the most power with the lightest trimmer you can find.
  8. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

I had an echo hc-150, they lasted a while but I bought Stihl 81r's spring 2010, WOW! awesome trimmers. Expensive but worth it.
  9. MoritzLandscapeLLC

MoritzLandscapeLLC LawnSite Member

stay away from husqvarna hedge trimmers! the $500.00 pair i had broke the first month i had them, the process continued over and over until finally they were out of warranty and i said screw it and bought a different brand. I don't think i could ever use them more than 30 min at one time without them breaking and I consistently oiled them. Maruyama was what i went with and i couldn't be happier! plus they cut alot faster than the husqvarna leaving a better finished product and increased productivity. I went to the GIE convention in Kentucky and mentioned my problems to a husqvarna rep and he goes, 'yea we had a lot of problems with them but now since we bought redmax its not an issue anymore" regardless i am not going to take my chances. I will say this, husqvarna makes great engines and their weed whips arent too bad either. thats about the only luck ive had with them though. Never had an issue with my maruyama and it probably runs for 6 hours every other day. Im considering looking into their weed whips