1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

which hedge trimmer?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Pugsly, Apr 17, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Hey pugs, I have had the echo, and the articulating attachment. The attachment was awkward for me and didn't really work for reaching high 10 ft hedges from a step ladder. The straight echo is an awsome machine but it is heavy. Maybe I am just old, and just like the lighter trimmers.Sold my echo, and went to the weedeater. I just liked it since it was so light. I do a lot of hedge trimming here in Ct. I trim half my neighborhood, as well as regular accounts, and take great pride in it!

If you are trimming hedges that produce 3/4 inch branches and up. well the echo would be the way to go.

My pair of scissors work great for 3/4" and under:;)

2. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

I use the echo 2400 great hedge trimmer also use the had held 1500 .Also have stihl hedge trimmers tough and stay sharp .
    The echo's are good hedge trimmers .

3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the Stihl HS45, which is fantastic machine and not knock- you-down expensive at about $250.

4. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

thanks for the replys guys!!!!:)

I think i/m going to go with a stand alone hedge trimmer. Seems that's the 90% consensus here.

Now without screwwing up the thread more...what's the performance differance between the double sided trimmers and the single-sided? is one heavier or more effiecent than the other?

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well..... If you are going to get a midsize trimmer, they only come double sided. Furthermore, they can cut in both directions. Last, if you care to use your noodle, holding any of the chainsaw style trimmers, it's easy to see "all the weight" is out in front of you, and will take a toll on your back, while the Midsize is balanced. Also, it's impossible to cut the top of a 6 foot wide hedge with a chainsaw style trimmer, unless you cut from both sides, while the midsize can do it all from one side. To continue, the chainsaw trimmer forces you to bend over, while the midsize (MD) allows you to stand upright. Next, you can’t cut the sides of a 12 foot hedge without a ladder with a chainsaw style, but you can with a MD. And, the Chainsaw (CS) style always has the exhaust in/near your face and will make you sick after a while, but the MD style has the exhaust behind you.

It's a simple decision, unless you have trouble deciding whether or not you need to wear underwear each day:dizzy: :dizzy:

6. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

I've used both the echo and stihl hedge trimmers and have to say hands down that the stihl hedge trimmers are better. They are much better balanced and i haven't a problem with mine so far... it's just my opinion so if ya disagree i understand...

7. Doc Pete

Since a pole style trimmer has no balance issues, because the motor's on one end the trimmer head is on the other, I'm assuming your comment is pertaining to the chainsaw style of machine????
    Pete

8. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Ok my $.02 here.
    I have a Robyn 24" hedge trimmer for just about everything.
    Then a Echo long shaft hege trimmer with articulating head for taller stuff.
    And for real tall stuff I have an attachment for my Power Pruner pole saw with an articulating head. One thing though, when you have that thing extended all the way out you best have a strong back and arm cause it is a beast. But it sure beats lugging a ladder around. Cost for that head alone was $285.00. I use it on three jobs and it has paid for itself a few times.

10. Doc Pete

I now see the problem....Did they stop making the Mid size 2400 with standard head????

hedge23.jpg