which herbicide should I be using

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cpmnate, Oct 29, 2009.

1. cpmnate

cpmnate LawnSite Member

This is my first year doing weed control I have a permagreen spreader and have only used lesco three way herbicide with ok results is there something better?

2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

what rate are you using, ask your lesco dealer about a spreader sticker have you calibrated the sprayer. i use a 3 way and have great results what kind of weeds are you having problems with. some weeds hang on for week before they die some dont die easy may take several treatments
    Charles Cue

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

All depends on what you're trying to kill. For the simple weeds, Lesco's Three-Way was terrific (I haven't used it for a couple years, so I can't vouch for whether or not the formula's still the same).

Tougher weeds require tougher herbicides...

4. cpmnate

cpmnate LawnSite Member

I am follwing recommendations on the bottle should I be spraying more than once per year

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Wisconsin may have it's own rules, but EPA regulations only allow for 2 full, blanket applications of an herbicide containing 2,4-D.

That being said, you can SPOT SPRAY much more liberally.

And you SHOULD. Spraying weeds once a year isn't going to keep a lawn clean.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

but if you put a bunch of horse crap on it it wil be so lush a weed could never even exist, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> well sort of, the object in any turf program is to get the grass thick, the thicker it is the less weeds will ever have achance.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Spray early summer and fall. I use Lesco Eliminate herbicide. Fine with surfactant in skid sprayer in big tank, however with Permagreen I cannot use surfactant as it causes too much foam.

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Riggle, Use a defoamer. Even without surfactants I have problems with foam, especially in the fall. I always carry a bottle of defoamer.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The best herbicide is the one not used.

10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

If I do not use herbicides customers do not like the results, do not pay and go else where. I do what keeps customers happy. That is my job.