1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which herbicide?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Drivefaster35, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey guys plain and simply is Momentum from lesco worth the extra money over tripower? it's about $8.00 a bag more here and just starting apps with lesco this year? Any help would be awsome
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Are you married to the idea of using a granular weed and feed? I would advise not using granular at all for weed control. Too many variables that all have to be just right to get the stuff to work properly. Grass has to be wet, can't rain or be watered for 24 to 48 hours. As an applicator it's not easy to get out and spread every lawn when there's dew on the grass, IF there's dew. Plus with the granular it's too easy to get particles off target onto flowers and shrubs when it's being slung out of a broadcast spreader.

I'd advise going with liquid for your herbicides....
  3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i agree. go with liquid when trying to control weeds. you can backpack spray it if you don't have a large spray unit.
  4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Your wasting your money. IMO Unless you spray the lawn w/ water first, or apply after rain, or heavy dew.you'll get no results. LOL
  5. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

I was afraod of that however I don't have enough accounts nor the capital to purchase a larger spray unit nor do I have any experience with Liquid apps so I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place I'm a beginner I am Licensed by the way just so that doesent get brought up and a backpack sprayer wouldn't be enough :(
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You can do quite a bit with a back pack!
  7. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

Ok If I were to go with liquid I have a few questions. I understand it depends on the application and what product I use but I'm curious as to how much area I could treat with sayyyy 100 gal spray tank using momentum? would that be sufficient or not? Still learning and running out of time
  8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if you were spot treating that would go a long way. depending on how you mix it you could spray as much as 1000 sq ft per gallon.
  9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Drivefaster35: I don't know every solution for spraying since you can spend from about 5K or more down to $15 hand sprayers--They all basically do the same job of making droplets from liquid.
    Some of the other guys that keep up with such stuff may have a different opinion but here's something that might help you out: I saw a sprayer at "Tractor Supply" this weekend for about $85 (1GPM)--had a larger model for $125(1.9GPM) These were powered by a Shurflo 12V Electric pump. You could mount these to a riding lawn mower (12V Battery Needed). You'd need to have at least a 50' hose. But you could get by until finances allowed to move up to a little more commercial grade of equipment. Hope this helps
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's pretty much how I started out.

I didn't use it that long, but I had an old Montgomery Wards garden tractor that I pulled the deck off, and used that as a dedicated sprayer.

Used it for 2 years, that setup, then moved to a skid sprayer that a buddy had that was selling out.

I used that for 3 years, put it in a 14k dump trailer with (2) 400 gallon water tanks w/ transfer pump so I could mix on the fly. I had 1000 gallons of water when loaded.

Then for the last 3 years I've been running a PG Ultra, got tired of having to carry all that water.

Now today or tomorrow, I'm picking up a new PG Magnum.

So yes, there's many different options.

I believe that liquid momentum is rated at about 3 quarts per acre, if I remember right.

Also, I would NOT do apps if I had to use granular weed control. If you can't afford something to do liquid, DO NOT start until you can.

Sub it out if you have to, but you're only in for headaches if you start by using granular.