Which Home Study Turfgrass Course

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bryn, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

I was wondering what experience people have had with the Purdue and Georgia Turf grass study courses? Which one you would recommend, pros and cons to each course? Or maybe suggestions for other self study courses.

I'm looking at starting one of the courses to supplement my studying for my TN license in HLT.

Thanks

Bryn

2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I studied the course for the certified turfgrass professional exam from the University of Georgia and PLCAA. I found it fairly comprehensive.

3. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Im waiting on course materials for that program from the University of Georgia. tiedeman, recommended it . Maybe he can add his two cents along with what Fvstringpicker already said.

4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I found the PLCAA course to be informative also. Don't be like me though and get behind. ;)

When I started the course I was pretty busy but managed to study a little each night. Then I really focused on studying for my pest. applicators license and got behind. My year to complete the course was up and instead of filing for an extension, I decided to just finish it on my own. No plaque, no official certification, but the knowledge is what mattered most to me.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Which course at Georgia are we talking about? The certificate program, or the college credit program? I was looking at those as well.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Depends what you want out of the course.
    Check out Penn State's on-line courses. Provided the on-line information is comparable to their on campus info, you are going straight to the horse's mouth on turfgrass management info.

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I took and passed both. I started with the Georgia course, and followed that up with the Purdue one. Personally I think that's the best way to go (although I did it quite by accident). The Georgia class is a little more forgiving than the Purdue course and is a little more in depth.

Randy

8. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

Just finished the Purdue Turf course. Very good helped alot with my state pesticide test. You better study hard for final exam very very hard.

9. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

where can you get information about these programs? Do they have a website? I searched purdues but came up with nothing.

10. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member