Which Hustler to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zbruch, May 26, 2008.

1. zbruch

zbruch LawnSite Member

I live in rural SD. I mow about 1-2 acres weekly. I have a fair amount of slopes, uneven terrain, and trees to mow around. I am wondering if the hustler fastrack 48, or the hustler super duty 42 would be better for my yard. Mostly wondering about the slopes, I test drove a minifastrack 36 yesterday from a friend. It handled the slope pretty good, but I'm wondering if the wider/heavier 48, or the heavier/bigger tired super duty 42 would handle better for the money. They are both around $4999 here locally. I am leaning towards the superduty, I think the bigger tires would benefit me and the width isn't real critical. I currently mow with a snapper 21" push! Which takes forever. Thanks for any input.

2. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

the Fastrak handles hills better actually.....I guess because of the lower center of gravity. 42" fastrak or mini Z will do just fine. 3400 and 5000 is what they sell for in my area. If the other ones cost around the same don't sweat it.....you won't go wrong w/ any Hustler mower (in my opinion).

Peace,
    Gary

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

:)The red one.:)

4. zbruch

zbruch LawnSite Member

Which "red one" would you suggest for my slopes/uneven ground and $4-5000 budget?

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I was just joking:)

6. BAKERS

BAKERS LawnSite Member

The Fastrak 48/54 is a better designed machine. You will be much happier with the 48 over the 42 Super Duty.

7. ResidentialOwner

ResidentialOwner LawnSite Member

You would be happy with the Fastrak 48, but I am sure all would make a great choice.

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

right the red one and i am not joking!

9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

His question was concerning Hustler - not YOUR Exmark. He is ready to spend his money on a mower - not your jokes. :usflag:

10. zbruch

zbruch LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. So does the Fastrack 48" have any advantage (besides 6 inches wider) then the Superduty 42"? It seems they use the same hydros. I would like the bigger tires that come on the superduty. How about comparing the Fastrack 48 and superduty 48? Again my main concern is the slopes, the mini-fastrack 36 that I borrowed was borderline on some of the hills. I don't mind the "red one" jokes, but some actual model suggestions would be much more appreciated. Thanks