Which Hustler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by brettmc, Mar 30, 2006.

1. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I’m in the market for a new mower. I have 3 acres of my own plus I have 10 residential accounts. All told, I probably mow about 3-4 acres every week. I presently drive a 10 year-old Scag gear-drive WB with a 48” deck. The Scag has a drive problem that I nor the local dealer can fix. It wants to wander uphill in thick grass plus when turning in thick grass, it wants to keep turning when the handle is released. Also, it will leave grass sprigs that I have to mow twice. I’m tired of struggling with it. I'm looking for a hydro WB or ZTR and I don’t want to spend more than $5k-$5.5k. If I need to spend more, tell me why. My mowing terrain is mostly flat with small rises. Grass is mostly thickazz centipede. I have a single axle 6X8 ramped trailer to haul it with.

I visited the Hustler dealer yesterday. He can sell me a Fastrak with the 20 hp Honda and 52” deck for $5150. He can put me on a Z for $7800. He hasn't sold very many WBs, didn't have any in stock, and acted like he didn't want to.

Aren’t the Fastrak's homeowner models? Will they stand up to the amount of grass I mow?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The FasTrak will hold up for the amount that your telling me your mowing.
    The 44" and 52" FasTrak's come with a 1 year or 400 hour commercial warranty (which ever comes first).
    If your thinking walk behind the new TrimStar hydro's could really fit the bill for you also.
    Your dealer may not have any walks in stock, but his distributor can get them to him very quickly and even possibly a demo unit quickly for you to try out.
    If you could spend just a touch more, I would suggest the Mini Z 19/52, it is a full commercial unit and at a spring special price of $5,999.00 it cant be beat for the value.

Pj

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk 3-4 acres. :laugh: :laugh:

Get the Super Mini Z. It has the spring loaded seat and is commercial grade. Your back is going to get sore going fast mowing 3-4 acres if you don't have a spring loaded seat. Your going to bounce around a lot when your mowing fast and they do go fast and cut good but you won't feel it much with the spring loaded seat.

4. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

One of my dealers in Sthe St Louis area has a 18hp Honda 44" FasTrak in for Spring service. It is an 03 model and has 780 hrs on it. Now, it's dirty, has several dents and scratches, but it has stood up very well.

The FasTrak should work very well for you, or as PJ said, the (927236) 19/52 Mini Z will do the job too, and probably ride and drive better because of the bigger tires and the drive system Plus, it has the heavy duty remote air cleaner. This model is one of our best sellers.

5. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

I know of FasTraks with more than 780 hrs on it.

The (927236) 19/52 Mini Z will drive and ride better.

6. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I called another Hustler dealer late yesterday after I made up my mind to get a Trimstar hydro. He's trying to get me a 48" 17hp unit from a warehouse and doesn't know how long it's going to take...told me 10 days to 2 weeks. I find it hard to believe it's going to take that long. Oh yeah, he's clipping me for $4400 + tax. Good price?

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

MSRP is $5,199.00, so you are getting a nice discount.
    There has been a very high demand on our TrimStar's recently, with the season starting and all.
    E-mail me your information and I will see what I can do to get you one as fast as possible.

Pj

8. jmb18

jmb18 LawnSite Member

Do you mind if I ask which dealer you used?

9. brettmc

brettmc Banned

Shot you an email. Hope you can help....

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Received your e-mail and you should hear something soon.

Pj