which hydro 52 walk behind? SCAG, EXMARK, OTHER?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, May 31, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

My scag belt has worked for 17 years and i still use it 2 days a week. I plan on moving up to a hydro. I scag still the best built most reliable best cutting machine? Or is there a new top dog? Guide me. Thanks

2. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Scag and Exmark both make great machines.

I own a Scag w/b and I love it. My first Scag was a belt and now I own a hydro and would never go back.

More importantly, you really want good dealer support. There are a tons of threads on what machine is the best. However, the one thing that most guys here will agree on is dealer support and how it is VERY important down the road.

Good luck with your purchase.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Stander 52"/23 or 25 hp
    eXmark 52"TTHP/ 19 hp
    One mower does it all,loaded on 5x8 trailer and you can take on any kind of lawn or hill.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

All of our Ferris WB's have been extremely reliable for the past 11 years...I have absolutely no complaints at all.

5. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

This is the 1st thing I would look for. They all make good machines or they wouldn't still be in business.

The 2nd thing I would look at is the operating system. Check them all out and see which one you personally like best. Some like pistol grips, some like ECS, and some like the T-bar or whatever else there is out there.

I personally put in my vote for a stander of any sort. Wright, Dane, or Deere. But thats my opinion.

6. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

hustler- a very good machine 54'' 25 hp
    I didn't like the wright stander- clipping dispursol was very bad

7. clydesdale

what about toro? I thought scag was far superior, but you guys on here dont seem to rave about scag. What is the deal with scag these days?

8. clydesdale

no comments?

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I think Scag makes the best walkbehind out there... I wish I still had one I traded my out SW 52" on a new Lazer.

10. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

The only scag experience I have is with a couple used walkbehinds. I loved them for 4 of the 5 years I had them, then I started to hate them. They were just getting old.

I would get a stander if I were you. After owning one I see no reason for a walkbehind. I take my stander places I never took a walkbehind.