which is better, a Letter, postcard, or flyer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sergman89, Feb 24, 2011.

1. rnd

rnd LawnSite Member

Check out our website at RNDSigns.com and see hundreds of layouts for advertisement ideas. Keep in mind marketing is trial and error and tracking your results is the best tool to keep track of what is working

Download a FREE marketing handbook and planner off of our website

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Been getting a few calls for estimates on some commercial work this week. It sure would be nice to land some of these accounts.

3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

After a wild winter here, im thinking of offering free plowing for 1 month(customers choice of which month) when they sign a annual contract. Some will scoff at FREE, but my experience is that it cost us $50-$75 to accquire a new customer. That being said.....im not thinking it will snow more than 2-3 times per month.

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

free snow removal :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. MLI

from Ma

curious joe....how much does it cost you on average through marketing does it cost you to acquire a new customer? Do you even know? Have you ever done a marketing campaign? What the difference if you give free cuts, free snow etc, or throw thousands into postcards which we d0?! Maybe youre one of those guys that has accounts just falling in his lap all the time. Do tell?!

6. MLI

from Ma

....anyone else use some sort of loss leader? We did postcards last 2 yrs in a row,and the results are getting worse with the economy. I think no matter what we do in the near future....we will be throwing money into the wind! Might lay off the marketing until things become more receptive.

7. Gone Green

Gone Green LawnSite Member

From some stuff that I've gathered, I want to open this up for discussion..
    Consider all the methods (multiple impressions) that people remember your brand.

1. Once when they see your truck,
    2. once in the yellow pages,
    3. once online,
    4. once in your flyer,
    5. once in your door hanger,
    6. once in a direct mail coupon,
    7. etc.

They (tested and true marketing professionals, not me) say 8+ impressions then success rate hits the roof.

If you don't have the marketing budget to send 10,000 postcards at once, and expect only 0.5% conversion (and no one rightfully does); consider budgeting out 8 rounds of cards/coupons/door hangers/whatever, every 3 months to the same 1,250 targets in your route.

8. Gone Green

Gone Green LawnSite Member

From some stuff that I've gathered, I want to open this up for discussion..
    Consider all the methods (multiple impressions) that people remember your brand.

1. Once when they see your truck,
    2. once in the yellow pages,
    3. once online,
    4. once in your flyer,
    5. once in your door hanger,
    6. once in a direct mail coupon,
    7. etc.

They (tested and true marketing professionals, not me) say 8+ impressions then success rate hits the roof.

If you don't have the marketing budget to send 10,000 postcards at once, and expect only 0.5% conversion (and no one rightfully does); consider budgeting out 8 rounds of cards/coupons/door hangers/whatever, every 3 months to the same 1,250 targets in your route.