Which is better...Dump trailer or dump truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassgirl4, Oct 28, 2007.

1. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

I go back and forth [in my mind] between a dump truck and dump trailer!! Which is the better buy (more efficient, practical, etc.)? I realize the dump truck is a bunch more money, but if money were not a factor...

Any thoughts?! Thx!!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I vote dump trailer, can be used as an equipment trailer as well for something like a skid steer they might not hold quite as much as a dump truck but trailers act as implements to let your truck diversify itself and make you more money. No point in adding another vehicle to your fleet to increase costs, road tax, tags, etc. Also the added maintenance of a dump truck would basically suck. Dump trailer, use it when you need it and not feel bad about having it sit for awhile.

3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I think dump truck, a 1 ton makes it alot easier to get in some tight places, than it would be to back a trailer in, plus you could use it for a second crew if needed

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

there is another thread that discusses this at length, do a search for it..

5. Fred B

Fred B LawnSite Member

Here Is a pic of one of our set ups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Fred, I see you have neither a dump truck, or trailer in that picture but thank you lol.

My general vote goes for the dump trailer, but it depends on what you're starting with. I see you have a dodge 2500, so if you plan on keeping that then the dump trailer is the choice in my opinion.

Take this into consideration with a 1ton dump truck such as an f350 or 3500, after the weight of the dump and its gross vehicle weight, you're only LEGALLY capable of carrying a few thousand pounds 4000 maybe?? Correct me if I'm wrong guys, there are others that probobly know better.

Now lets look a pick-up, I'll use mine since I know the numbers. A 2007 Chevy 2500hd 6.0 Reg cab. My towing capacity is 10300lbs, meaning I can buy a 8000lb capacity dump trailer, and even with the weight of the trailer itself, I'm within legal capacity. My downside is if I'm going to a jobsite loaded with mulch or soil, I dont have a trailer for my equipment, however we also have a landscaping trailer and another truck so thats one solution.

There are other factors such as diesels and their cpacities, and then 450s and 550s.

Think about that, and all the other options, decide which one will do the most, for the least amount of money, and for the longest time, meaning that you will not grow out of quickly.

7. Fred B

Fred B LawnSite Member

That is a dump trailer. Thoose are hydaulic arms at the back of the trailer that lifts a 160 cubic feet of bin. When on the ground the lid opens serving as a ramp between the trailer and the bin. Walker lawn mowers dump their loads in there. At the end of the day we we open the bin doors and the grass dumps out like a gravel truck.

8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both. An F-550 10ft. Crysteel dump and a 12,000# Bri-Mar. Unfortunately I have to get my CDL (sucks...) before I can hook the two together legally, which I'm doing right now. I like having as much hydraulic dumping capability as possible (I primarily landscape, so lots of mulches, soils, demo stuff, etc)...

It pains me to see guys struggling to double-handle materials in the back of pick-ups. As a small operation, I need to be efficeint.

For a long time I worked out of a pickup/dumptrailer setup. It is great. They are at a good height, plenty of space...and of course the dump ability.

9. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

LOL...that's what I was thinking, too :) It's always nice to view other people's set-ups, though...gives you ideas you may not have thought of...

As for my situation, I am currently a one-woman show, so I'm trying to think as efficiently and 'compactly' as possible...which is why I am confounded on this matter. The dump trailer is definitely cheaper...which is a consideration for sure!! However, the dump truck is more compact for getting into tight areas, and with it, I can continue to pull my 7X16 enclosed trailer with my mowers and other equipment...which is a big concern of mine. It probably wouldn't be so bad during the season, but spring and fall would be issues, as I would need my mowers and the dump trailer for cleanups. And what about customers who want their leaves picked up weekly during the fall?? I wouldn't be able to do it unless a second truck pulling the dump trailer is added to the mix...and that would mean I would have two trucks pulling two trailers on one route!! ;)

Would it be better to build a box on my pickup and just use that for the time being (despite having to manually empty it every time), or is that not such a hot idea?

10. fordsrule

fordsrule LawnSite Member

Why not get an Ez Dumper or something similiar and a dump trailer and then you have the ability to be flexible in what you need. You would be able to unload leaves from the truck easily and then when you have larger jobs use the dump trailer. Just an idea.