1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which is better Gravely of Hustler?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Big C, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I am shopping for a ztr to do 1 acre or less subdivision lots (10-20 accts)....I think I have it narrowed down to either Gravely or Hustler.....please share with me your experiences or knowledge of these brands.
  2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

They are both good brand names !!
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Must be nice to be shopping for a ZTR and having only 10-20 accounts. Think about getting a WB. Lots cheaper than a Z.
  4. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i don't see the problem with a ztr . hell when i started years ago i had 2 accounts and bought a new ztr ...... best decision i ever made........btw both are good mowers
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

If a person only has 10-20 accounts, it is ******** to get a 7 to 10 thousand dollar ZTR. It can not be justified, unless you are just mowing for a hobby and looking for an excuse to buy a Z. If this is the case go ahead and get that Z, I'll buy it off you in a year when you are done with this phase that you are going through. Sheesh, some of you lawnboys are plain silly!
  6. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

never had a hustler..... i do have a Gravely 252z and LOVE IT..... i also have an exmark, walker, and a country clipper.... and the Gravely is BY FAR the best ride of the bunch.... and the fastest... it will really run. Also i've had it 3 years and the only thing thats went wrong was a clutch right after i bought it... warranty fixed it and been great ever since.... when i buy a new one.... it will be another Gravely.
  7. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

like i said it very worked well for me .i had 2 accounts when i bought my ztr both small commercial jobs about 5 acres and the other 4 acres and i picked up work during the summer. the next summer i landed a 19 acre account.. . dont get all pissing because someone has done somthing different from you................btw i am to lazy for a wb and will never own one lol
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

^^^For the size properties you were maintaining, a ZTR makes sense! The Original poster stated he will be working on lots 1 acre or less. You can cut an acre with a 48" wb pretty quick. Yes a ZTR will get done faster but for only 20 accounts, I cant see you getting done fast enough to where its gonna save you $4-6 thousand which is the difference.

Hustler and Gravley are both good brands. Dealer support is also a key factor so visit you local dealers for these brands and see which dealer you feel is better. Maybe try for a used ZTR as well.
  9. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

How many accounts do you have or are just taking a stab at what you might get? Do you have 10 accounts right now if so how big are they? You can sell them on fall clean ups and what not to help off set the cost of the mower. I made allot of money this year in clean ups. My first year out i purchased a Z with only 12 lawns on the books. That ended up at 18 by the end of the season with all but two for fall clean ups. I do this part time so i needed the speed of Z to keep up.

For the machine purchase they are both fine units you should consider who will give you the best service. It is worth a few bucks for a good dealer close to you.

good luck....:waving:
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the posts so far seem to be saying that they are both good machines, therefore, it does depend on the service you will get after the purchase ... so like the others have said as well, be sure to investigate your local dealers !!