Which is better;Lazer HP 46 or Scag Tiger Cub 48

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by johnwon, Oct 26, 2006.

1. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

Hi: I'd like to here from as many of you who would be kind enough to share your time on this decision. I'm looking at new 2006 Scag Tiger Cub 48 with Briggs 24 ELS....should I pay the extra money for another engine option? I think a Kawasaki 19, Kohler 23 are my options for the 48 inch deck. I'm not sure of the cost yet for the options. Also I'm looking at the Lazer HP 46 to 50 inch deck mowers "new" What would you buy and why? Thanks

2. TMAC669

TMAC669 LawnSite Member
    from N/A

I'm also looking at the Scag Tiger Cub for next season. I've read a couple of posts on this website that said they had some problems with the 24hp B/S engine burning oil. I've also read some posts where guys said the 19Kaw had more power than the B/S. From my own experience I have a 15hp Kaw on my 36 Stander and a 17hp B/S on my Garden Tractor and the Kaw seems to have more power. If I buy the TC next year i will be with a Kaw engine.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Some have had problems with the briggs i talked to my local dealer he stated he has had no problems,you are getting a two year warranty with briggs,i have had no bad luck with kawasaki downtime is horrible in this biz.

4. johnwon

Thanks for the input on this subject, I maybe just as well to lean toward the Exmark Lazer HP 46" with the 19hp Kawasaki or the 50" Exmark Lazer HP with the 23hp Kawasaki? Any known problems that I should know about going this route?

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have a tiger cub with the 25 kawi and 60" deck and a Wild Cat with the same engine and a 52" deck. aside from one of the split pullies giving up the ghost, and chewwing up a belt, no problems......and no engine problems either...

Marc

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Demo the 2007 Lazer hp with the 50" triton and the 23 kaw. if you are happy with the cut then you should be happy with that mower. Make sure its a 2007 triton.

7. johnwon

Hi; and thank you to all who have posted so far. I have thought about the 2006 Lazer HP with the Triton Deck and am now wondering why you advise me to wait on the 2007 model?? Please let me know the difference. Thanks

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If the 06 triton cut good for you, you have no worries. in the north east it had a hard time and they have raised the blade speed and did some baffle work. but like i said if you demoed and found no problems you have a great mower.

What size --- the 56-23Kaw. Oh if you want you can get the update kit free.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I was close to buying a 24 briggs but i didn't,thinking of waiting a season or two to get any problems fixed.

10. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't be scared of the Briggs. Also a pretty good indicator of the integrity of a mower is to compare the weight of two similar mowers. If one is 150 pounds heavier then you can just about bet it's built a little better.