which is better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Nov 10, 2004.

?

which is more profitable

1. postage stamp at $20.

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. 1/4 acre at $30

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. 1/2 acre at $40

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. 1 acre at $60

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

this is hypothetical, numbers are just for argument. please don't talk about how you get $100 dollars for any and every yard... thanks.

a) a postage stamp yard at $20.

b) 1/4 acre at $30.

c) 1/2 acre at $40.

d) 1 acre at $60.

which yard do you prefer and think is more profitable?

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

it all depends.... if they are close together, what kind of equipment your using, if your solo or not, and again, if theyre really close together.

Most of my lawns are like 2 in a row 3 in a row, but my most profitable area is 8 postage stamp lawns in a row, like 3 or 4 passes with the 48" and get $18 each. I could probably charge more though, but that what next year is for :) I know $144 isnt that much, but when it only takes you like 45min its good money. but again, the profit on the $144 is probably around $100 or so after you figure everything in.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's all relative my man... depends on the account and where it is in relation to other accounts.

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i like the postage stamp... take about 5 minutes to complete then off to the next... $20 dollars a pop sounds way better then $60 dollars for an hour.

5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely have to agree with the others, postage stamp. Best for me are 4 6,000 lawns 1 hour $105. Two are together, other two are one block away. All are seniors and pay before anyone else and one walks out and pays me every third time with no bill and occasionally bakes me little goodies. Looking to pick up more of those instead of the $500,000 doctors houses that are $40 and they pay about 3-4 weeks after invoices are sent out. Even though those are real nice to look at and pop out at you when you drive by. No one notices the little ones but they are the best money for the time and I would go alot further out on a limb for them.

6. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Like every one else said the key is keeping your route tight. Time spent in the truck is lost revenue. The best money is when you are making at least $35 a man hour. (This includes drive time.) Including myself I run a 3 man crew. Postage stamp yards are great but are not plentiful in this area. I find my best money is the 1/2 acre for $40. I can generally knock out 3 of those in a little over an hour including drive time when I plan my routes correctly. What works in my town though may not work where you live. You have to study and decide what your strategy will be and stay focused on that strategy. In my opinion the type of properties you target will dictate the type of equipment you need. I found that what works good on commercial properties is not always ideal for residential properties. This year I cut out all commercial properties and focused strickly on residencial. I also tried to stick to one section of town which I found much harder to do than I had thought it would be. All in all I had my best year to date and I have been in bussiness for 4 years now.

7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

personally I prefer the larger lawns. With smaller lawns it seems there would be more time spent loading/unloading etc. In my part of the country it's pretty much larger lawns that have a service. A 1/2 acre is considered small, 1 acre is decent, 2 acres not out of the norm. My operation is set up so that I can do a larger account pretty quick, so I'd have to lean towards more profitibility on big lawns.

Buck

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can't drive to a lawn, drop the trailer for 20 bucks, and make any money. If I spend just a little bit more time there for more money, then it's worth the drive. I put more profit @ 1/2 acre lot for 40, because with the 1/4 acre lot, we're STILL doing about as much trimming and such.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Although the immediate money of postage stamps may see like a lot I think that over the long haul the large lawns pay better. In my area postage stamps are hard to come by with the average lawn that I do being 3/8 acre. My best paying jobs are those of over an acre. I have one lawn that is 2.38 acre and it pays more annually than all of my postage stamps put together.