which is faster?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Dec 18, 2004.

?

which is faster at cutting?

1. trimmer

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. mower

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. scissors

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

trimmer vs. mower... which is faster? a trimmer with an 18" cut versus a 21" mower?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the trimmer is faster but the mower will give a far superior quality of cut.

3. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

A trimmer with an 18'' cut? That thing will sound mean.

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i beg to differ on that note....i think i can give a better cut with a trimmer than anyone can give with a 21" and do it at least twice as fast.....havent carried a 21" since i started pulling my equipment with truck/trailer.

this entire slope in this picture was cut with a trimmer...just to much danger to take a mower on the slope with the road right there

5. lawnwizards

huh? :dizzy:

6. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

7. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

what are you asking? are you cutting a steep incline? if you are i can answer this for you. i mow a bunch of doubles that are elivated 10 feet off the ground. With a steep steep hill on both sides. Well i tried to mow it. and its not hard to cut but it just braks your balls. Id say if its not that bad of an incline stay with the 21. But if its really really steep keep it to the string cutter. .02

8. lawnwizards

nah, i'm not cutting anything. me and my buddy just went at it today. him and his 21, me and my trimmer... same area to cut. i won. didn't look as nice but i beat him... just wanted everyone elses opinions on this. thanks.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no way
    you will not have the same height control with a trimmer that you will have with a mower. the blade is on a fixed plane.
    looks like some spots in that pic are cut too short ( the scalped looking patches) look at the pic closely, you can see patchyness in the color of the grass, especially on the right of the pic. this comes from the inability to control the height of the string. you cannot keep the string within the 1/4 inch range weedeating large areas.

10. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

enough said