which is the best mini excavator?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by kreft, Nov 16, 2007.

1. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

In the future I plan on getting out of landscaping and go into site work full time. I was wondering which is the best excavator is. The size would be around a JD 50D, a Cat 305, or any other machine in that weight class. I plan on using it for puting in pipes and drains, demoing, slopes and whatever else comes in my path.

So my question is which machine has the best bang for its buck.

All input is welcome, and I always enjoy looking at pictures too.

Thanks in advance

2. there is no such thing as the best, buy one then that one will be your best.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Deere has a very small length cab, I know this as a fact as my Dad owns a Hitachi 27 and I hate that cab, good width, but no leg room, CAT and Komatsu have LOTS AND LOTS more room, and their seats are seroiusly butt worthy.
    Bobcat is good too, but cheap quality.

4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Do Not buy a Bobcat Mini Ex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are valving problems that will screw you 7 days after the warranty is up. They are weak compared to just about everything else out there.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

These threads are worthless. Sorry, but this has been hashed out over 100 times and if you buy a machine just because some else says it's the best, you might as well give up in the business before you get started.

6. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag is right, do a search on this topic and look it up. Our answers are always the same.

Blake
    WA

7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Thank you for saying it......:)

8. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just demo the models and brands that meet the requirements for the types of jobs you plan to do with the machine, weights, digging depths, crowd forces, tail swing, etc. Make sure to have the demos from local dealers that have a reputation for good product support (look around at their shop, ask about what kind of parts inventory they carry, do they have many of the models that you plan on trying in inventory), and see if you can get some customer references. Good luck.

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

There is a ton of information on these excavators for sure.
    Takeuchi,Kubota,Komatsu,JD,Cat,Volvo,Gehl all seem too be well liked.

The TB145 at 10k pounds is the strongest machine at 10K pounds.
    Most machines that are in it's class are around 12k pounds.

I have demoed a bunch in this class.

They all have there positives and negatives.
    All the Utility companies here use Kubota,Takeuchi,Cat in that order popularity.

All the 5/6 ton machines will set you back 50k to 75k new depending on options.

The 3.5/4 ton class is way cheaper and depending on soil conditions may be a better choice.

I rent a Komatsu PC35 with the extended boom and it works well here in all but the dryest(Hard clay) conditions.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you do, remember that there is no work in BC, Canada, and houses are expensive...

Wait....Gravel Rat hasn't posted in this thread yet? Consider this preemptive.