Which is the better edger?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Big C, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on buying a stick edger this week, I have narrowed my choices down to three: Kawasaki KEL26A, Echo PE-230 or the Echo PE-260. Which would you choose???

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a KEL26A it is nice, works well it is not as rugged as it could be though. on the first day of ownership the top screw for the shroud loosened up and I almost lost it. I then tightened everything on it. The 2nd day it loosened again this time coming loose and breaking a fin off the flywheel. This is just my experience. if you get one put red thread lock on the screws. I like it over all it does what it is supposed to do but if I was to buy again the only stick edger I would ever consider buying again would be a Stihl fc110. but if you were going between the kawi and the echo I would choose the kawi. but on the way home pick up a tube of thred lock. If the money is in the budget I strongly suggest looking at the Stihl line, in my "opinion" it is the only truly commercial stick edger on the market.

3. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

I would buy and edgit and put it on your current trimmer. I have echo trimmers and they all have edgit's - The only way to go. FT edgers are a waste of money - theyare great to get the edgeline established and then sit on the trailor. Edgits can establish the edge line and then be used everyday on every job.
    Brickman uses them on most all their trimmers and they are the largest by far national mowing company.

4. Big C

what is an edgit and where can I find one on the web?

5. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

6. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Any reason your not looking at shindaiwa? Just curious.

7. Big C

Got it....thanks.....does this thing really work...I mean on lawns that require a "new" edge or is this good for maintaining exsisting edges only...I want something that can establish a "new" edge

8. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

I have a friend that has one and he loves it but still has to keep his stick edger to establish the initial edge.

9. Big C

Yeah that's what I was thinking...so an edgit will not save me from buying a stick edger after all.....thanks for the info!!!!

10. Topcut_gardener

Topcut_gardener LawnSite Member

My preference would be the echo 260 for several reasons. This echo has a bit more hp than the other one and having extra power you can heavier line and being more economical to run.