1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which is the better grapple design?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Barrett Landscaping, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in the market for a grapple for my vermeer mini skid and am torn between these two designs. I will be primarily using the grapple for brush, logs, and branches.

2. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a bobcat root grapple which is the same design as the one in your first picture. I personally like it way better then the second design.
  3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I've found the first one to work great for moving brush and logs but hard to rake with. Where as the second is much easier to rake with.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the first pic. It seems like it can hold more and is easier to scoop up a few logs at a time.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

First one is for lifting and carrying piles of brush that were already made with a rake. Hard to get angle into soil to do raking, too far out away from machine.

Second one is a rake meant to be carriend low, teeth just in the soil removing debris below the soil surface and then piling and then carrying out pile.

Depends on what you want to do I guess and how much HP you have.
  6. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input everyone! It seems that the first design will fit my needs the best.