Which is the single best mower for my target customer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Jan 7, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to be running a one man show so I am looking at buying one mower. My target customer will have 1/4 to 3/4 acre yard. I am thinking about a new 36" walkbehind. I plan on keeping it for a few years and don't want any problems. Is this my best option? Is a hydro that much better than a belt drive? Thanks.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I would get a Wright Stander. It'll be my next purchase as I will be getting rid of my walk behinds. Why walk when you can ride & get everything done faster.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

A HUGE factor would be your dealer support. Tell us what dealers are in your area and let us decide from those choices.

4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

The only dealers of commercial equipment I have been able to locate are John Deere and Exmark. I was impressed with the Exmark dealer. The Deere dealer handed me to a kid who didn't have answers to my questions. He kept telling me that he only just started.

5. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

:waving: Id go with the exmark dealer. Im no expert on them but everything I hear is good. If you can swing the hydro thats the way to go, less operater fatigue, I have a belt drive Bobcat, but my next mower will be a hydro! A 36in. is a good choice it gets you through alot of gates. Take a 21 with you too. good luck

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

You can't go wrong with the Exmark. They are bullet proof mowers. A 36" would be a good size for your properties but you might could use a 48", as long as you don't have any narrow gates. The 48" TTHP is a wonderful machine.

7. SuperZZZ

SuperZZZ LawnSite Member

My personal experience with a 36 mower.Still too wide in my area to get threw gates.I bought exmark last year took it right back to dealer.The setup i thought sucked.Was too long in length front to back was like a limo.lol.We then just went with a 48"scag glad we did awesome mower!Just be aware of the properties you bid for gate sake.We actually pull some fences back near gates if possible and take 48"right under.Hope this helps demo them see what you like and fits your needs.Good luck this year:)

8. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest you get an Exmark Belt drive but get a 32" to start. You will fit through any gate and when your business picks up you can buy a 48" or even a ztr and have a greast setup.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Let me tell you this from the word get-go....and trust me...Do NOT go with anything under a 48", especially if you are up to 1/2 acre and 3/4 acre lots or even see them in your future. Anything else is a waste of time, and you will not be able to compete. 36's have their place - for gated properties and other real tight areas, but let's face it...the vast majority of your places have open access.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

EXACTLY. If it was me, I'd be looking at a 54" ztr. Even in smaller 1/4 acre yards, unless there is extremely rough terrain, the 54" will work fine. I have some 5,000 sq. ft. accounts with medium slopes that when pushed for time, I've cut them with my 60" SuperZ.

While others may be using a 32" or 36" walk-behind on 3/4 acre lots, you and your 54" unit are already loaded and on your way to the next account.payup