Which JD mower for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rodneyskip, Jan 23, 2006.

1. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

Hey guys, I have owned a Landscaping company in the past, did some mowing as a kid, and now am looking at taking a job that has potential, but will need some income for the first few years. (About 15$ a year net). I have a JD 110 that I am goint to trade at the local JD. It is 2 years old and they are giving me a great deal on a trade. Question is- should I just trade for another JD homeowner rider, or should I invest more?
    I am going to stick with the JD brand because these guys are going to give me a good deal and because of service. Any help?

I do have a redmax bp blower and a 21" Ariens now.

THanks!

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

You probablly want something bigger, but the best mower I have is a JD JX75. I love that mower! I agree, JD is hard to beat for service and everything. We have a great JD dealer here in town.

3. rodneyskip

from KY

I do want something bigger. My question is should I trade my L 110 for an L115 or get something bigger?

Thanks

Rod

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Get into somthing beyond the homeowner series, you wont regret it:)

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My first few years in biz had a JD Sabre (poor) and a LT 133 that held up ok. However, FORGET the homeowner mowers and bite the bullet and get a commercial. I figured the money I had in my first 2 mowers would have 70% paid for a good commercial ztr . After using what you have and going to commercial you will ask yourself everyday "why did I not do this much sooner". I had rather have a good use ztr or any good commercial mower over 2 brand new home owner models. I promise, you will NOT regret getting commercial, you will quickly learned why its called commercial and enjoy it every time you use it.

6. rodneyskip

from KY

What would you go with? One of their wb's?

I found 4 on their site:

G15 gear driven 36" 15hp motor (How much $$$?) 6mph

7G18 gear driven 48" 18hp motor (how much $$$?) 7 mph

7H17 hydro 48" 17hp motor ($5700) 7 mph

7H19 hydro 54" 19 hp motor ($6400) 7 mph

Without knowing the price I guess I am leaning towards the 7G18 because of the 48", larger motor, and probably cheaper price compared to the hydros.- What do you guys think?

7. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Go straight into the hydro's. And good luck on finding a 36" mower. JD screwed up here they don't think any of us need a 36" mower. I've talked to my dealer several times about this problem. Lastly there 717A is a great machine for the beginner.

8. rodneyskip

from KY

What is the cost of the 717A and is it better than a 667A with a 54" ?

9. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

I believe the 717A is running right around $5800. With steel cost they might be a little higher than that. If you can afford the bigger frame it would be helpful on rough lawns. That's the only down fall to the 717 the frame size doesn't take bumps very well. This year I'm moving up into the 797 with a 60" deck. But I'm keep my 717 its great for the tight lawns, plus it pushes snow like you wouldn't believe.

10. rodneyskip

from KY

I can get a 667A (with a 54" or 60" deck) for 4900$, do you think this is a better choice than getting a 717A for the same money?
    Thanks for any input.

Also the 667A has the old 7-iron deck and the 717A would have the new 7-iron deck II.

Thanks for any input!.