Which John Deere lawn tractor???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jeffv, Jan 28, 2005.

1. jeffv

jeffv LawnSite Member

I am looking to replace my JD LX172 because of a broken tranny, a new tranny is $560 and to rebuild the old one wouldn't be much less. I want to stay with JD because this tractor has served me very well for the last 14 yrs with no major problems until now. So I need some help choosing from the ones I have been looking at.

G110 25hp V-Twin Kohler 54" deck
    L130 23 hp V-Twin Kohler 48" deck
    LX 280 18hp V-Twin Kawasaki 42" deck
    LT190 18hp V-Twin Kawasaki 48" deck

This would be used for a pull behind thatcher, aerator, leaf vac and snow plowing of my driveway, very little grass cutting. I already have a 48" hydro walkbehind with a velkie that I use for the few accounts that I take care of part-time

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I say go with an L-130. That 23 hp Kohler engine is a great engine. My uncle bought a new L-130 year before last and he absolutely loves it and he mows a pretty big yard quite often and its really holding up well for him. I think he gave around $2600 + tax at the dealer.

3. AuctionGuy

AuctionGuy LawnSite Member

Did you ever buy a G110? I'm looking at a used G110 but dealers have said it's too lighweight to blow snow with. The snowblower attachment is two-stage and I would suspect the engine has enough horsepower to blow snow. I'm not in the business, I'd only be using it for my own lawn and driveway. I appreciate any reply. Steve

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I would take a closer look at the LX-280 or the LT-190. They are heavier than the L 100 series. Some of the old attachments might work on either machine.