which kubota engine 21 or 28 hp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsaunders, Mar 2, 2003.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking into getting the new kubota zd with the fabricated deck 60". My question is the 21 hp engine enough or should I go with the 28 hp diesel and not have any worries about not having enough power. Anyone try these mowers with the new decks yet? Any thoughts.
    Thanks Joel

2. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

My dealer is trying to sell me on a kubota zd i am still undecided being very happy with my z-master. I would like to have the 28 but its quite abit heaver than the 21. I dont really want to have a1500lb 60 " mower. just my 2cts.

3. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

I would do a search on them, from everyone and everything that is on here I would do the 28hp on the 60". Most people have complained about lack of power!

4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Well that mower you described is about $12000 that just seems rediculous to me. Get an exmark. Half the price w/ a 23 hp and probably twice the mower.

5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

A 21/60 IS 8900-9200,A 28/60 IS 10500-11000.Kubota has 0%apr for 36 months so a 10500 mower,would have a lower monthly payment than some 8500 mowers.NO engine will outlast kubota.And with fuel prices,it would cost less than half to run it.:rolleyes:

6. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure about the kubota engine outlasting all the others? There are a lot of very reputable engines on the market and some of them are superior in tek. department!

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd get the 28hp. If you get the 21hp, you'll be wondering if you really should have gotten the 28hp. 0% financing makes it even easier to get the larger one.

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

the 28hp on a 60" deck would do pretty good about like a 25hp kohler on a 60". the 28 on a 72" is just not enough power in the kubota machine.

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Uncle opened large repair shop in sixties,cousin still ownes shop today.40yrs exp. from a man thats never tried to sell me anything,makes me positive.he mowes his place with a about a 95 or so big ford outfront mower with a kubota engine.A 28hp diesel will get twice the fuel econ. as an ail cooled 25gas.--Don't worry about some silly "click" do some math.:eek:

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Kubota offers a high-speed gear kit for the deck so you can throttle back and mow with fewer RPM's.

The 28 has WAY more torque, it is a much bigger block, a real diesel.

The 21 is more of a toy.

KB