Which Lawn Services, That You Provide, Are The Most Profitable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob E G, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Bob E G

Bob E G LawnSite Member
    from 53717

I'm a landscaper, just starting into lawn maintence and would really like your opinions. And here is my question:

Of ALL the services a company could provide, WHICH ONE/S are the most profitable? (for the time you spend, and the investment) (i.e. Mowing, Aerating, Leaves, etc.) Which are the worst?

Thanks!

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'm the same as Ed - applications, lawn renovations, then clean-ups. But really, all of my mulch applications I end up doing pretty good on. At least the larger projects anyways.

4. rotagilla

rotagilla LawnSite Member

Mulching, planting, weeding, clean-ups, etc..
    Pretty much any service where I provide the labor and the customer pays for the materials. I get a mark-up on the material plus my labor rate combined with little or no overhead.

5. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

For those who provide this service, I'd have to say residential snow removal is the worst. I've come to the conclusion that people just don't want to pay for this necessary evil. This will be my first and last season offering this service. I will continue doing it for my really good customers, but I won't take on any more. Now on the other hand, commercial snow removal is where it's at. Spring and fall would be a good time to promote aerations and sprinkler blowouts. Good money in both.

6. kieferslawn

kieferslawn LawnSite Member

I agree with this depending on the mowing accounts. It all depends on where the accounts are located(drive time) and the size of the accounts. Theres days when i can knock out three commercial accounts by early afternoon and come home with $750. For landscaping it would take quite some time if you were charging $30-$50 p/man hour. If your doing smaller residential accounts $30-$45, then mowing would be on the bottom. Just depends on what accounts i have scheduled on that specific day.

7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Fertilizer plans - mostly prepays. Landscaping - 60% residential, commercial work gets knocked down to the last penny in my area. Construction - we shingle, build decks, small cement work, snow removal - 80% residential - commercial work - to many other guys running around with plows, mowing - 50 - 50, spring / fall clean ups.

I find it easier to maintain a driveway with an all day snow event for our clients cuz they pay cuz they don't like driven on snow pack driveway, ice build up, or anything vs our clients who think a 2 time leave removal clean up to outragous cuz the wind will blow again tomorrow and I'll have my neighbors leaves. Now they get there neighbors snow with the wind but I really think there mind set is different from winter to summer.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Couldn't agree more with your statement about plowing. We dropped residential about 3-4 years ago and never looked back. Too many issues with residents and snow plowing...whether it was call backs due to township (even thought it was written in contract we weren't responsible), we aren't there in time, when are you coming, all that crap.

Our commerical accounts...cha ching...that is when it actually snows. I've hand one salting event for this season. It sucks but what are you going to do about it, its mother nature*trucewhiteflag*

As for least profitable lawn services...servicing the lawn itself. That is why we only take on full-service customers otherwise it wouldn't be worth our while. Buy far the best lawn service is fert/pesticide applications both turf and ornamentals. The second best is mulch installations.

However, I'm assuming landsape installs, hardscapes etc aren't included otherwise they would be the most profitable.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

mulch and more mulch...since there is no snow....

i make more profit laying mulch in the summer then anything else..other then mowing...

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Shrub trimming and Tree removal have the biggest profit margin and mowing the least unless, like what was said before its a large commercial account. Landscaping has been a very good money maker for me as well.