which leaf loader/shredder

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jwsland, Aug 14, 2011.

1. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

I'm looking at some billy goat model on craigslist currently. My question is what hp level should I be looking at? Some of my leaf clean-up are pretty big. Will a 12 hp model cut it or should I be looking at something like an 18hp?

I've never owned a leaf/debris loader so any input is appreciated.

It will somehow need to be compatable with my truck/ dump trailer combo. tailgate mount, sit in the bed or attached to the dump trailer while not paralyzing the dump feature.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say 16 to 18HP minimum. The smaller ones may do ok with fresh dry leaves but fail big time in tougher conditions. I think the problem is more the smaller intake diameter rather than HP, but still bigger is better. Even the larger units can have a hard time digesting stuff. It goes a lot slower than you might think. When you get up to the larger trailer mounted units, they can really get the job done.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i agree, we have a 27hp trailer model and it is awesome, but much less than i would say 18 would just not be enough

4. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

!6 SUCKS( and not in a good way!) im sorry but we used to have a 16HP little wonder and it was sooo slow. Now we have a 27HP Billy goat...even with a long i think 10-15 Ft hose it still has GREAT suction! its the best rig we have! Bigger is Truly better in this sense

5. DIXIECONTRACTING

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

18HP minimum

6. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. I looked at them today. I'm going with ther 18 hp skid/gate mounted since a tow behind model isn't an option, I have to blow the leaves into my dump trailer.

The billy goat seems to have better specs for my needs compared to little wonder. (The two popular companies in my area)

7. cuttin-to-the-Max

You can always make MODS to the leaf loader to work with your rig. THis is a 2HHP "trailer Mount" But we mounted it onto a Home made welded rack on the tongue of the trailer.

trailer.jpg

8. cuttin-to-the-Max

Whoops its a 25HP Vangaurd

9. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Little Wonder 16hp two seasons ago. At the time it was all I could afford to spend. I like it, dont get me wrong, I think it does a pretty good job of shredding as it loads. 16hp gets the job done but if I could do it over again I would look at a min 20hp, seriously. If you do a good number of jobs, and we do, 16hp is just barely getting by imo. And I would def look for battery start. Pulling to start a 16hp gets a little old... or maybe it's me that's getting a little old... my b-day is in 40 minutes.

10. cuttin-to-the-Max

:bday::bday::bday::bday::bday: