Which leaves give you trouble?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hans-Ulrich, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Hans-Ulrich

Hans-Ulrich LawnSite Member

Down here in SE Georgia, I find that leaves from the live oak are the hardest to rake. When their dry they are slick and are hard to pile up. They are also light and can only get a few onto the pitch fork.
    Pine straw is the easiest because it gathers up and binds together so easily.
    Large magnolia leaves are a hassle because just a few take up so much space.
    Anything like that where you are from?

2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

As far as raking i dont rake I would mulch them with a mower. Also I have a property that has 5 magnolia trees and I blow them under the tree and clean it up once a month with my mower and bagger. Do u rake them every time u cut?

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

magnolia leaves

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

The ones that fall to the ground.

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Why are you raking? I gave this up a long time ago. The properties I have that need leaf cleanup, luckily have curb pickup by the city. I use a Redmax eb7001rh blower to blow the leaves to the curb in the front and in the back I use Excalibur high lifts over gators in combination with an Accelerator bagger to shred them into tiny bits and deposit them at the curb as well. This has saved me more time than anything I can think of.

6. Hans-Ulrich

I usually rake once or twice per fall or winter. I do use a blower sometimes but I feel like just getting it over with so... I back my truck up and throw them in.

7. Hans-Ulrich

I'll look into that Locutus

8. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

All of them. 'specially the wet ones.

9. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

during the beginning of the season i had advertised for doing spring cleanups since i was looking for new customers , and ide say the majority of the cleanups i did were from people that hadnt
    touched there lawns since who knows when prolly a year or so earlier. ide have to say the leaves that give me the most trouble though are oak leaves they suck ,anbd are a mess with using the leaf vac its like they just turn into dust "sinus infection YAY"

10. Evermow

Evermow LawnSite Member

Pecan leaves SUCK.