1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which Looks Better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chris Wagner, May 22, 2003.

1. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

This may be an elementary question, but I have a followup after a few responses.

Secondly, which is best for the tree?
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm, i like the last one with the edge on it, i would use a darker maybe cypress mulch though, I really don't see any harm from either on the tree:)
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I give up?
  4. Chris Wagner

Ok, since the questions are already coming and you're scratching your heads, here's the story.

These trees are on the parkway which is technically village property. The village plants these trees but basically expects the owner (in this case, our church) to take care of the grass, trimmer, etc.

Picture number 1 is a rediculous amount of weeds and grass growing in the wood chips the village put down last year. Two days ago, my partner and I are removing some of the mulch to get rid of the weeds and grass. At the same time, we're edging around the tree like in picture #2.

Here's where it gets good. The village forester, yes forester, comes up to me and wants to "show me something." He is upset that we are edging around the tree and removing some of the mulch that college helpers put down last year (see #1). I tell him that the work they do is NOT acceptable and looks very unprofessional.

He proceeds to tell me that he doesn't understand why landscapers put an edge around their trees and even called it a "hispanic thing". I'm not hispanic, but I couldn't believe this insult. I was actually offended he even said that.

Following this, I asked him, "well then, what would you like us to do?" He says, just weed out the mulch and not to remove any as they will apply new mulch in the summer. I tell him again that there is no attention to detail with the quality of work "his staff" did. We are expected to care for the parkway, so the least we can do is make it look as cared for as the rest of the campus.

Then he says that he doesn't like consumers or landscapers to add any of their "own" mulch (I was planning on adding hardwood mulch in #2 until he stopped us). He even said that the work we did REMOVING MULCH added too much mulch near the base of the tree. Make any sense?

At any rate, I intend to write to the village and public works if nothing else to comment on his stereotypical and ethnic slur towards hispanics which was completely uncalled for.

I'm just looking for a few extra words of wisdom from the professionals and not this joker who is the forester for the village.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Ha Ha, the village forester, more like the village idiot. Sounds like a Chicago surburbanite yuppy thing. But as far as your question. I like the edge look myself. I would do the work as your customer requests.
  6. Chris Wagner

I am the director of grounds for our parish. We do all of the external environment. I suppose my "client" is the pastor. He liked what we did and wanted to know why the ones like in #1 weren't done the same way. At that point, we were just getting to them and it was just before the forester stopped me.

Would you also agree that by adding nice edging to a tree (bush, etc), it prevents mulch from being kicked up from mowers & trimmers? There is mulch all around the turf in pic #1. I would submit it's safer for pedestrians, cars, and the mower to NOT have to worry about kicking up mulch.

Should be interesting.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

interesting story..the guy is upset because you do quality work and is making his work look horrible
  8. Chris Wagner

Could someone be that ignorant? I mean he actually pulled his truck to the side of the road and flagged me down as I was watering some new seed.

I think he actually believed what he was saying and saw no point in edging around a tree. Is that possible?
  9. Those are your trees now, tell him to go f- a tree.

Easement, they want you to care for tree, call them yours.

Have the paster tell him, I bet he will enjoy that.

Finish the rings and mulch the trees, the villiage idot won't be able to do anything about you taking care of your trees.
  10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Are there tree's planted like that all through the village?

Maybe he just didn't get his point out. Clearly the edged tree's will be easier to maintain, and he has to be able to see that.

But if the tree's are planted like that through out the whole village?, it will just seperate the "village landscape".

But it all depends on the village codes, and how they are to be maintained.