Which Method Of Advertising Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DSLND, Apr 8, 2007.

?

Which Method Of Advertising Do You Prefer?

1. Flyers

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Door Hangers

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Phone Book/Yellow Pages

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Local Paper Ad

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys! Happy Easter! Ok i am really looking to expand my business, basically double accounts and income now that i have a full time helper with a truck. Last year i did about fourteen yards a week with about three every other weekers that were bigger yards (1.5-4 acres). But this year i am definetly looking to expand alot! As of right now i have an ad in the "Dial-A-Pro" section of our local paper that is distributed in our town of 33k people. This week i will be passing out over five hundred door hangers and also looking to get more made up to get to my goal of eighteen to twenty weekly lawn accounts along with a good amount of landscaping. It is too late to get an ad in our phone book but i am just curious as to which method of advertising works best for you. Now don't get me wrong, i am not desperate for business, acually i am pretty busy doing clean ups, adding new accounts, doing small to medium sized landscape installs and more, but am just looking to get my lawn accounts up to a higher number and get attention from potential clients. Thanks! -Mitch-

2. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

we just put our name on EVERYTHING... our commercial accounts such as CVS... in the winter we give them a big sand barrel,with a big sticker with our name and decal on it. All of our trucks have large bright noticable advertising. also all of our installs, and irrigation we put one of those square signs at....

3. DSLND

Packer,

Thanks for the response! I will be getting some signs for my trailer b/c my driver doesn't want anything on his truck (magnets) and once i get a truck in a few years i will get it lettered but thats a little ways away. I will also be using company shirts, and those "real estate" type signs for landscaping job sites. Thanks! -Mitch-

4. packer101

yea shirts are good... people see those.. we have shirts, long sleve shirts, sleeveless shirts, sweatshits, hoodies, fleeces, polos, running jackets, hats, ballcaps.... pens are nice too... they manage to get around.

5. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

Check your PMs Mitch.

6. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to be a butthole/grammar nazi but Packer, before you start bragging about all your equipment, you might want to make sure you spell some of the more common words correctly. of COURSE, that's just my own humble opinion.

7. packer101

greatly appreciated... but just as a fyi i have a extreamly bad form of dyslexia and actually have a very hard time with spelling sorry if thats a problem... ill try a litttle harder

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ok...so you are 14 and going to have full time help. What do you mean by full time? How are you gonna manage someone while you are sitting in school? I found out the hard way, teachers DONT like phones ringing, and if you tell them it is for your mowing business, it just pisses them off more. Why not just get 20 or so, have your dad/mom/grandpa/brother/SOMEONE drive you to them. You are gonna be paying out sooo much money for the help it aint gonna be worth it at all. Esp. on only 20-30 lawns. Also, you could get a Gator to pull around a small trailer with your ZTR and a 21" on it. Actually, that would probably be the BEST way to go. Your Gator wouldnt charge you for every single minute it is with you, plus no workers comp, extra insurance, etc.

You REALLY don't need to be making lots of money...are you even in high school yet?

About the advertizing, I am wanting to get some tshirts and a couple hoodies made up, also some hats. Wanting to do some sort of lettering on my work truck...but I am still undecided. As wreckless as I drive, I aint sure I want everyone knowing who I am:hammerhead: :laugh: :laugh: .

Anyway...didn't mean to write an essay there:hammerhead: . Good luck this year:waving:

9. DSLND

KS: When i said "full time helper", i meant a guy (my brother acually, i didn't want to say it) but he's a sophmore in HS and i'm still in eighth grade, but he's going to be driving me and working for me this year. He gets paid very well while i still make a nice profit. I love the idea of a gator, but my yards are scattered all over our town. I don't even take my phone to school yet, next year is HS i will, not for business reasons but just because i will feel more secure with it on me. But the cell stays at home and i check it when i get home and call any people who left voicemails and then head out to work. But i would like to end this season and through future seasons i would like to have 16-18 weekly maintenance accounts, along with other jobs like rototilling, hedge trimming, aerating, clean ups and a good amount of landscaping (nothing major, just smaller planters, small retaining walls, etc.) and only work 4 days a week during the summer and 5-6 during school year. I don't have a huge assumption of friends so social life isn't a huge issue when it comes to amount of business i accept. Thanks and good luck this season! -Mitch-

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

You and your bro can do 20 lawns after school no problem. I was a little over that number of accounts last year doing them 3 days a week after school with a helper. Not an issue.

I would like to see myself doing 30+ this year after school with a helper but the weather isn't helping out now.