Which method of leaf loading would you do?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by kc2006, Oct 12, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, I'm just trying to decide what the heck to do here and looking for advice from others.

This is concerning leaf removal. It is my first year on my own so equipment is limited, I have a 5hp loader from a trac vac system for a walkbehind, I remember talking to a couple people on the board here that said they used the little loaders as truck loaders, slow but they worked they said.

I'm just wondering what you guys would do in this situation. Should I A) just put the trac vac on my 48" walkbehind. Or should I B) Put it on the truck?

If i use it on the walkbehind I'll end up blowing the leaves into a pile and just run the mower through it and use the mower to pick the leaves up. Only downfall is the 55 gallon drum fills up fast so I'd have to keep dumping the barrel in the truck. Which sounds like such an inconvience to me since i'm used to using big loaders and all that easy stuff :p

What would you guys use? Getting the leaves to the piles isn't a problem, i'm covered on blowers. Just not sure which way would be best to get them to the truck. Oh and I have a leaf box on the truck, the back swings open so i'd be able to get in & out ok if I had to.

2. Surfside

Surfside LawnSite Member

Billy goat vac into boxed dumptruck blow wind rows then collect with tarp the bulk of the leaves. then clean up with mower.

3. kc2006

Ok but your missing the point. The original question was, which would be more benefitial use of the small loader? Being thats all I have at the moment. Next year I will have a large loader with an actual dump truck, but for this year I'm goin stealth mode :laugh:

4. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

I still think using that small loader into the truck would be better than emptying all those cans into the truck, You will definitely have to take your time sucking the leaves up since the HP's are low. Depending on where you dump you could use the loader to empty it also. JMO

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to see how fast a small loader moves the leaves, I guess. I know that when tarps get pulled out to the truck by the mowers (faster, and a labor saver), the tarps can be lifted relatively quickly and dumped. we grind our material up so fine though about like cereal and dust), that it doesn't take much on the tarp to add up the weighjt. It may not LOOK like alot of material, but it is.

6. kc2006

I understand what your saying Runner, thats my concern. On one hand the loader will be slow, but on the other those barrels get really heavy especially with gator blades, they chop it up very fine.

I can switch back and forth with the loader, it weighs so little that I can just pick it up and switch off if needed. I may do that. Like always, something that works great on this job, is going to suck on the other job and the opposite way would be better.

Now all I need is the leaves to start falling and start getting calls.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I can't see using something with that small of an engine loading up into the truck very well. My loader is 16hp and wish I had more, but it does ok for now. You might consider tarping into truck until it becomes too much of a hassle and then move the loader to the truck. Have you tried picking up piles of leaves with it yet?

8. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Dry leaves it will work great, but wet stuff will take awhile. I had a similar setup 4 years ago and worked fine except the wet stuff. Make sure theres no sticks in the pile, or that will make for a long day.

9. kc2006

I tried the little loader out last year at my place, it did it, just it was slow. I'm used to 27hp loaders with the 14" hoses, this only has a 8" hose of which it keeps busy while loading. Its matched to the hose size i'll say that. I'd hate to see it in nasty wet leaves though.

The key with using it is keeping it mounted close to the box. I've seen how you have yours mounted walker, and I don't like that. We used to clog up the 27hp ones that had a 4' duct into the box, thats why your 16hp isn't being very effiecent.

I was just looking and theres no real way to mount this on the truck and still be able to pull the trailer. So it would have to be on the tongue of the trailer. I'm still thinking about it. I'll probably just put it on the walkbehind and if I do get alot of work I'll end up mounting it on the trailer or just break down and buy a larger loader.

10. Surfside

Surfside LawnSite Member

Try from the plow mount up and across the cab, pvc pipe, into box?