1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which motor

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lawnman757, Mar 28, 2006.

1. lawnman757

lawnman757 LawnSite Member
    from MD

I am sold on the Hustler Super Z w/60" deck. Now I am debating between the 25 kawasaki and the 26 liquid cool. I understand that the L/C should last longer and operate quiter. Will I see any performance differences with only 1 horsepower difference? Is it worth the price difference? I currently have a 25 Kawasaki on my deere, that has helped me to stay partial to the kawasaki brand. Thanks for your help.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I seriously doubt you will be able to tell the difference in 1hp.
    The liquid cooled is going to run cooler, be quieter and will be a bit more fuel efficient.
    Also, like you mentioned it should last longer, with the proper maintenance of course.

3. lawnman757

lawnman757 LawnSite Member
    from MD

I guess my next question would be if the 25 kawasaki would handle a bagger efficiently? Going with that motor would half way pay for the bagger. Thanks for your help.
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes it will.
    You will just need to slow down for heavier conditions.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I'd choose neither engine. Not that there is anything wrong with either, but Hustler offers TWO much more powerful engines in their lineup.

28hp Kohler EFI

30hp Kohler

If you drive EITHER of these you'll never look back to those other engines.

The LC Kawi will add some weight to the mower.
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Go with the LC engine. We have a one on a Ferris machine and it has plenty of power, a lot quieter than a air cooled engine and a lot more fuel efficient than an air cooled engine.
  7. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Ask you dealer if he is able to work on the EFI, that should help you with deciding on that engine. The 26 hp Liquid Cooled Kaw Engine is so smooth and quiet, I realy like this one. We are seeing a trend toward higher hp engines, but the 25 hp kaw still sells the best in my territory. Your local dealer should be able to help you decide what he is comfortable selling and servicing. Listen to your dealer, he will be there for you if you need it.