Which mower blades work best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric D, May 17, 2007.

1. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I’m new to this zero turn, high speed mowers. Sorry if this has been talked about already, but can one of you more experienced folks give this old guy the scoop on which blades work best? I see three different designs for my Toro model 74245. The numbers I found are high lift #105-7718-03, Mid lift #105-7777-03, and a “Atomic” recycle blade #105-8777-03. Which ones should I get and why?

Thanks for the help,

Eric D

PS I don’t use it for commercial use, just my own place of 5 acres.
  2. ccondie

ccondie LawnSite Member

I personally use High lift blades on all my mowers. they lift the blade of grass better when the mower goes over it so that the blades do a better job of getting each blade of grass cut. also i use gator blades on my walkbehind and they do an excellent job of mulching up any leafs and or grass. either of those will do a good job for you.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Im guessing cool season grass??? what do you do, mulch, let it fly or bag? that makes a big difference. I use oregon blades as they are half the price of toro blades.
    Mulch you want low lifts
    bagging you want high lifts
    letting it fly it is personal preferance.
    mowers are like guns some bullets are accurate in one gun(same model) but cant hit the target in the other. buy a few and see what it likes best.